+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Repainting Old Doors

I have some old rail and stile doors that I want to paint to match my trim. However, not only is there a lot of paint already on the door (probably 5+ coats), the last coat the previous owners put on was done quickly and without prepping the previous coat. So now I have some cheap paint that flakes off from time to time.

What I've done to the first door to rid myself of other lingering problems is strip all the paint off and get it down to the wood. Then I primed it and painted it. However, now the door's finish seems flat and not as durable as the other doors I have not done anything to. Is there something I should be putting on the door to help durability and help it have a little more pleasing finish than the super flat finish I have now?

Any ideas or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Repainting Old Doors

Your prep sounds correct but it sounds like you used flat wall paint rather than semi-gloss or gloss enamel, which is what sould be used on trim and doors.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Great, I wondered if that is all I needed to do. I will give that a try and hope for the best!

Thanks!

Smile Re: Repainting Old Doors

Hi all, I am being a bit bold by replying as a newbie. Our home is over 150 yrs. old and there is a paint specified for Doors and Trim which is used following a good primer. Apparently expensive paint does make a difference in the long run. This paint is scuff, chipping and mark resistant. The paint is CIL Real Life paint for Door & Trim. I used interior 100% Acrylic Latex. You can choose what gloss you want.

Bev

Just remember gloss finishes are less prone to trapping dust and dirt, and are more easily cleaned when they DO get dirty.