+ Reply to Thread

Default 18" ceramic tile

I WANT TO INSTALL 18" CERMIC TILE ON 700 SQ. FT OF FLOORING, THIS IS A OPEN CONCEPT, I TALKED TO CONTRACTORS AND I'AM GETTING MIXED INFO., I WAS TOLD I COULD LAY 1/2" PLYWOOD ON MY 5/8" FLOOR AND THIS WOULD BE A GOOD SUB FLOOR?? I NEED TO KNOW IF THIS WOULD WORK, MY OTHER PROBLEM IS I WENT WAY OVER COST! ON THIS TOTAL RENO.

Default Re: 18" ceramic tile

Sorry to hear about your budgeting woes. Reno's often have surprises and a lot of "while we're at it"'s that inflate the expected cost. I have started to multiply my estimates for home projects by 1.33 for cost and 1.5 for time just because of the "while we're at it" factor. Then you always have the "I need this new tool to complete the project" to factor in also!!

What is the floor joist configuration - Span, spacing and size? When tiling, cement board is usually used as an underlayment on top of the subfloor rather than plywood. I am wondering if the 1/2" ply suggestion was in addition to the cement board or in place of it? 5/8" is a little thin in my over-engineered thought process. 3/4" is the minimum subfloor I would probably ever use, then decide if additional layer is necessary for the tile based on deflection. Make sure you install it in the correct orientation, listed below is a link showing the difference.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ead.php?t=8921
    Last edited by bp21901; 03-26-2008 at 09:15 AM. Reason: link added.

Default Re: 18" ceramic tile

I'm with Bp on this, something doesn't sound right.
    Debby in Oklahoma