+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1

    Default Mold on wood furniture -- health hazard?

    We inherited some pretty nice old wood furniture. Unfortunately, it sat in an unoccupied house for a while, and seems to have grown some mold on the unfinished parts inside. There was also some light-colored mold on the outside, but it wiped off of the finish. Below is a picture of the inside of a dresser, behind a drawer. I'm thinking that the best course of action is to replace the backside of the furniture and sand the bottom of the drawers where mold can be seen. I'm unsure how concerned I should be about this though... Is it ok to keep this furniture sitting in our house until we get around to fixing it (probably a few weeks), or can it spread to other places in the house or cause other problems? The furniture's new home does not have any current humidity/mold problems, as far as I know.

    http://s93407983.******home.us/slask/IMG_7874.JPG

    Thank you!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Mold on wood furniture -- health hazard?

    This is pretty common until this year. I'm just wondering why the government hasn't done much anything about this yet.

    Are their any similar laws made about molds?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,769

    Default Re: Mold on wood furniture -- health hazard?

    If you sand, you will release mold spores into the air. The best thing would be to treat the wood with a sodium borate solution. Mix about a pound of powdered boric acid and a pound and a half of borax (20 mule team laundry type) in a gallon of very hot water. When it cools, pour it into a gallon size garden sprayer and spray away.

    This will not only kill the mold, it will also kill any bugs in the wood and as long as it stays out of the rain or floods, it will remain in the wood to protect it from future mold and bugs.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    212

    Smile Re: Mold on wood furniture -- health hazard?

    Your picture did not load so I couldn't see what you have, but are you sure it's mold and not mildew? To many people they are both similar looking. If it's black mold it should have an odor. Make sure you use a good respirator when cleaning it (not just a common dust mask). Bleach works good on the mold but I don't know how it will effect the wood. It might not hurt it but you should always do research ahead of time to be sure.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    38

    Default Re: Mold on wood furniture -- health hazard?

    The picture is probably long gone since it is from 2008. (that being said, I tried to look at it too!)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Mold on wood furniture -- health hazard?

    Quote Originally Posted by WINT142000 View Post
    The picture is probably long gone since it is from 2008. (that being said, I tried to look at it too!)
    this confused me too!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Mold on wood furniture -- health hazard?

    It would be great if the submitted link will load so members who wanted to help you can see the real problem. Hopefully, you can fix this one and concerning your problem, you can surely solve it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •