+ Reply to Thread

Default Mix Conventional and Mini Duct System

I currently have a conventional forced air system for heating and cooling in a split level house. I'm considering converting the garage into living space. However, the ducting for the 2nd floor crosses the joists taking away a lot of available head room. Is it possible to mix a mini duct system for a portion of the house with a conventional forced air system using the same furnace? Thanks

Default Re: Mix Conventional and Mini Duct System

The mini duct system uses a high velocity blower, mixing would be almost impossible to get a balanced system.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I think you want to know if you can use a split AC just for the conveted garage. Yes you can. I like to think of the split AC system as a point of use comfort station. The unit inside the house goes exactley to where you want to heat and cool. And it is really only for that room. Good luck. Process of elimination.

Quote Originally Posted by misfitter View Post
    I think you want to know if you can use a split AC just for the conveted garage. Yes you can. I like to think of the split AC system as a point of use comfort station. The unit inside the house goes exactley to where you want to heat and cool. And it is really only for that room. Good luck. Process of elimination.
    But how is that going to solve his lose of head room due to existing ductwork going across the ceiling to feed the second floor?
    Jack

Actually I have heating and cooling for the new living space as well as that of the existing space above to worry about. As an alternative, is it possible to run the main ducts along an outside wall and make taps along the way to run up to the joists above? (thats how they currently are routed in the direction the joists go).

I don't see a problem with that, but some re balancing may be needed to compensate for the extra length of run and any additional turns.
    Jack

There are some things that aren't really a DIY project and this would qualify as one of those in my opinion ...... unless you really understand and know what you're doing .

The duct work for a heating system is something that has to be properly sized and configured to provide the balance of air flow necessary for proper distribution of heat and/or cooling.

It's also important to maintain the correct CFM not only for distributing the air but for the integrity of the air handler.

Just my 2 cents worth.