+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Can't Seem to Remove Aerator

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a water filtration system to work with the faucet in my dorm room's bathroom. This way I won't have to spend the money on bottled water.

Unfortunately I can't seem to remove the aerator; it turns very easily in either direction but won't come off. I have tried pushing it down and then turning it, but that just doesn't seem quite right (although maybe it is the right technique??). I've used pliers as well as just my fingers and, really, it doesn't seem to make a difference -- the aerator moves freely and just won't come off. Kind of like a "child-proof" medicine bottle where the lid won't come off unless you push it down at the same time, although in this case, I'm not sure what the secret is.

I have attached a couple of photos to illustrate the problem.

Please help if you can! I would very much appreciate it. I can't wait to try out the water filtration system.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aerator1.jpg 
Views:	854 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	887   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aerator2.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	888  

Default Re: Can't Seem to Remove Aerator

Jack,

I've not encountered that critter yet.

But looking at your first pic (very nice by the way)...it looks as if there are two slots in the ring surrounding the aerator screen. I'm thinking you need to unscrew that ring to access/remove the screen.

This may or may not allow you to couple up your filter.

Or......maybe/hopefully someone will chime in who has firsthand experience with your faucet.

I'm inclined to agree with ****ie on the slots. Take a pair of needle nosed pliers and put the tips of the pliers into the slots and give the pliers a twist. Odds are, the filter won't hook up to the bathroom faucet, but it's worth a shot.

thanks for the quick reply! I don't have a pair of needle nose pliers, only long-nose. So I will go to the store tomorrow and get some. I'll let you know if it worked! Thanks.

And/or.......
    remove that little screw on the underside of the spout. That will probably allow you to remove the bottom cover-plate. Then you can see what actually goes on inside this critter. Might not get you where you want to go, but would be educational if nothing else.

It is most definitely the little slots on either side of the aerator. I have had to remove them from a couple business locations to clean out the gunk after the water dept. flushed the lines. (they were Delta's in that case) If you're feeling lucky and promise not to run across the room with them, I've used a pair of scissors to loosen them if they are not too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by JackSmith102 View Post
    thanks for the quick reply! I don't have a pair of needle nose pliers, only long-nose. So I will go to the store tomorrow and get some. I'll let you know if it worked! Thanks.
    I'm never one to stop someone from buying new toys, er ... uh ... TOOLS!, but needle nose and long nose pliers are the same thing. What might be useful in this instance are a pair of right angled long nose pliers, think long nose pliers with the end bent at a 90* angle.

Smile Re: Can't Seem to Remove Aerator

Thanks everyone for your help! I've managed to get the aerator removed from the faucet using the needle nose pliers I bought today. I had tried the long nose pliers but the ends were a bit too large to fit in the slots.

Having removed the aerator, I've discovered just how much gunk has accumulated over the years in the dorm I've been living in... Seems like they've never had it replaced since the dorm was built! Shown below is a few pictures of that, plus the ring with the two slots that had to be turned with needle nose pliers. Also, the new filter!

Thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aerator_removed1.jpg 
Views:	660 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	893   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aerator_slots.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	895   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aerator_threads.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	896   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new_filter.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	needle_nose_pliers.jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	899  

Most excellent, Jack.

Those pliers look as nice as your pics. Good find and wise choice.

Macro-mode on the pics, I presume... but am curious as to which camera you're using? 10 mega-pixel?

And yes.......what a load of gunk.

Looks like the filter was a fit. Doesn't get any better than that, eh?

Please send consultation-fee check to .........
    Last edited by goldhiller; 03-26-2008 at 10:32 PM.