+ Reply to Thread

Thread: old elger sink

Default old elger sink

please help.

I have an old Elger cast iron sink. It is severly damaged, the ceramic coating is missing in areas with rust setting in. The sink is undermounted in a granite countertop and the foot print is unable to be changed. Elger does not have this sink available from what research I have done. Any kind of replacement would be acceptable but once again the dimensions must match. 33" long by 22" wide with a smaller left bowl of 9 x 19 and the right bowl is 19 x 17. The smaller bowl is actually wider, thus finding a replacement is difficult. Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2592.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	886  

Default Re: old elger sink

You might, that's might, be able to get a bathtub refinishing company to refinish this one for you. Thing is, sinks, kitchen sinks in particular, take a beating and so refinishing companies don't do them because they can't/won't warrant the work. You may be able to sway a company to refinish this one for you if you agree to sign a warranty waiver.

Have you tried contacting Eljer directly to see if they still carry this model?
    http://www.eljer.com/

Thanks all. A. Spruce's idea was simple and I can't believe that I didn't think of it. Found a local company that will do it for $175 and will only be out of my kitchen for 24 hours. While true that the new surface is not as durable as porcelain, the company provides a 5 year warranty against the new surface from lifting out.

Thanks,
    Jim

Glad to have helped. A couple of tips for you. It would be in your best interests to removed the faucet and any other attached items from the sink yourself, as well as any caulking or anything else you do not want sprayed with the new coating. My experience with tub and shower refinishers is that they do a less than stellar job with their masking and cleaning of the surfaces. If you really want to get anal, pull the drain strainer as well.

Report back with your results.

Anal is in my name somewhere, like most dedicated DIY'ers. I plan on removing the sink and bringing it to his shop. This will allow me to rebuild the faucet drain lines and add a hot water dispenser. I'll let you know who it went.

Good to know. Just make sure it's cleaned to YOUR standards before you drop it off at the shop, otherwise you may be less than satisfied with the results. This would also be a good time to install that new faucet the wife has always wanted.