+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Permanent Siding Paint

I have seen ads for a painting process called permanent siding. It claims to be 10 times thicker than paint and guarantees that you will never have to paint again. Does anyone had any experience or advice about this product. It just sounds too good to be true.

Default Re: Permanent Siding Paint

It just sounds too good to be true.

You would be correct, sir.

PT Barnum has words of wisdom for you concerning those who have paid to have these product applied to their houses.

I have seen the adds including ones on locale TV. It is supposed to be a spay on vinyl and is advertised as having a 25 year guarantee. I have no experience with it though, and haven't seen a sample of it's appled. here's their web site http://www.liquidsiding.net/

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 03-24-2008 at 11:20 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Cherryville North Carolina

There is a house here in town that had this 'liquid siding' process done about two years ago. It took the better side of a month to complete but the paint still looks great.........after only two years I know but I have seen paint peel on other first rate paint jobs [scaped,sanded,primed etc. w/name brand high quality paint] in that amount of time.

Whish I could afford it myself.

Hmmm, a plastic coating that is 10 times thicker than paint which is applied to the outside of the house. Sounds like an absolute vapor barrier. A peeling house tells you that there is moisture in the walls which wants to get out. If you block that moisture from exiting, it just stays in there and rots your walls away!

In the early days of aluminum siding, solid sheets of aluminum foil was placed under the siding. The FHA had occasion to recheck many of these homes and found the walls to be badly rotted. I think this sprayed on plastic paint might be creating the same problem.

On another side of the coin, I have seen houses done 6-7 years ago that look like they were painted just a few months ago... I had not heard of the liquid paint, but I have seen the ceramic/elastomeric product Advantage25 on buildings and it goes on 10 mil and dries to 7 mil, it breathes moisture out from the substrate and because of the ceramics it actually reflects the radiant heat. it also has a 25 year warranty against: flaking, peeling, blistering, cracking and chipping. www.everlastingcoatings.com

Quote Originally Posted by bgphoto View Post
    I have seen ads for a painting process called permanent siding. It claims to be 10 times thicker than paint and guarantees that you will never have to paint again. Does anyone had any experience or advice about this product. It just sounds too good to be true.

Wink Re: Permanent Siding Paint

Now I am going to post the real thing. There are many companies out there doing this stuff. If the products are installed well, it is a good deal for the customer. It costs twice what a paint job would but the real dealers will guarantee it for life. However, that is not the issue. There are some great products, Rhinoshield, Extreme Coatings, Lifetyme coatings. But, and I mean but. Most of the companies that do this hire cheap labor and with that issue, do not do a good job, they do not remove the old paint and therefore it fails miserably. Rhinoshield does remove the paint and therefore works. Penazant also removes the paint and does work. Buyer beware on the others as it is very expensive to get beat by shoddy workers and the companies who are franchises just do not care. I had mine done with Rhinoshield and after 4 years it is still good. And that is a mitzvah. About a lifetime, who knows.
    I did see Rhinoshield do a home for TOH in Newton Mass and feature it on the tv show. That works for me....Let me see, four years compared to a lifetime....I cannot add that far. This stuff does breathe and it has ceramic beads in it. ???

Modern acrylic house paints also breath much better than the oil paints of years past. If you are going through the expense to strip to bare wood and then repaint, I think most of todays latex/acrylic paints would also last for many years. Your paint job is in reality only as good as the paint you are going over. If you are painting over several laters of paint which have historiacally peeled, especially oil paint, your paint is only as well stuck as the paint underneath it!
    25 mils is about 3 times the thickness that most paint manufacturers consider optimal for good paint results.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Modern acrylic house paints also breath much better than the oil paints of years past. If you are going through the expense to strip to bare wood and then repaint, I think most of todays latex/acrylic paints would also last for many years. Your paint job is in reality only as good as the paint you are going over. If you are painting over several laters of paint which have historiacally peeled, especially oil paint, your paint is only as well stuck as the paint underneath it!
    25 mils is about 3 times the thickness that most paint manufacturers consider optimal for good paint results.
    This is simply not the case. Our Permanent Painting System is up to 10 times more breathable than even the top of the line paint. We are Permanent Painting of NJ. our website is www.ppnj.com If anyone ever took the time to look into these products, you would be quite surprised. Even This Old House used one of these products on on of the projects. Our product has tested better than most on the market today. We don't throw out false claims about our product, like others have in the past. Why is it that everyone is ok with painting their homes every 3-5 years? I am not ok with that. We simply have the best product on the market at a fair price.
    Give us a call and we will be very happy to help anyone out.
    http://www.permanentpaintingnj.com

Kevingunn,

To quote from the video presentation on your website, "any coating is only as good as the surface to which it is applied".
    Hmmm, I thought that is what I said!

What is described in the video is a very good prep job followed by your thick miracle paint. I still maintain that any paint job with such thorough preparation and use of modern premium acrylic paints and primers would give similar results.

Your miracle primer is nothing different than many new acrylic primers utilizing nano technology, with particles small enough to penetrate and bond to the substrate.

Your cost justification graft anticipates having to repaint at 5 year intervals. My customers did not have such short cycles. My own home after six years on its present paint job looks as good as the day I did it. My material costs were under $250 on a 1700 s.f. ranch house, using top quality name brand paints.

I have feeling that what we have here is a case of doing a good paint job and pricng it so high that even if you occasionally have to redo it, you are still ahead of the game! The failures have been amortized.