+ Reply to Thread

Default thinned joint compound

I read a suggestion once on skim coating wallboard with joint compound that was thinned to a thick paint consistency then rolled on. Has anyone tried this and if so how thin is the joint compound and what kind of roller would you use that would NOT give a textured finish?

Default Re: thinned joint compound

Any rolled on method would still require smoothing with a trowel plus it is not likely to be thick enough to do much good.

I use premixed compound and apply in strips about 2 feet wide and separated about 3 inches, smoothed with a trowel, after it drys apply compound to the ares between the strips. It still takes some sanding or smoothing with a wet sponge.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Jack is right.

The only time I've ever applied compound with a roller is when I'm trying to match a lightly textured surface.

For skim coating, you're still going to thin the compound slightly to make it more workable. If all you're doing is covering up existing wall texture to a smooth surface, then this will be an easy task. Work in strips as Jack suggests, as this will keep you focused on doing a good job.

Don't over apply the compound, you're going to need several coats anyway. Work a small area at a time, try to leave as few knife marks as possible, the smoother you get it while it's wet, the less sanding later.

Between coats, scr-ape the knife over the surface of the dry wall to knock down chunks and ridges before continuing, this will cut your skimming and sanding work down considerably by not having to smooth out new bumps and lumps you've created.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If you thin the mud too much you end up with worthless soup.