+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy windows no longer open

My house was built sometime in the 40's. When I bought it 25 years ago all the windows opened. Now I can't open any of them. The house is up off the ground and I think it has settled over the last 10 years. I live in the Deep South. If this is the problem, can I remove the windows and reinstall them and maybe they'll work? I don't want new windows as I love the glass in these windows.

Default Re: windows no longer open

What type of window are they - wood, aluminum, casement, sash, slider?

They are wood, six panes on top and six on bottom. I think at one time they had cords running down the sides.

Sounds like sash style windows. These are prone to getting themselves painted shut. If that's the case here, then a utility knife, painters 5-in-1 tool, and lots of patience will get them open again. Not only will you need to separate the window frames from the jamb, but likely have to clean the track areas as well. Once you get them operating again, repair the sash ropes or use sash springs in place of the ropes.

A little settling can cause the windows to bind.

I would suggest checking the windows to see if they are out of square. Measuring the windows corner to corner can give you a little indication. The measurements should be exactly the same.

Another thing is the windows and sashes could have swollen a little. Taking the window out and making sure that all the surfaces are perfectly flat, maybe even adding a little graphite to the track could help but is labor intensive. Meanwhile you should replace those ropes so this may be the way to go since you're going to have to be "in there anyway"

You know when they install windows they shim them to get them square. New windows would be the same way. You can get windows that look like your old windows with the dividers between 2 layers of glass, or over the glass on both sides. Those choices would give you a little more energy efficiency but only if you want the expense.
    Debby in Oklahoma