+ Reply to Thread

Question Restoring Etched Numbers on Framing Square

I am trying to make an old steel framing square more usable. I've checked it for squareness and need to adjust it just a hair which I will do with a center punch.

My question, though, is how to fill the etched numbers, lines, etc. so they are readable. Many moons ago, I used to have a tube-style paint stick which you could rub on etched areas then rub off the extra. This worked great but I can't seem to find something like that now. Anyone have any idea what it might be called or even if it is still available? Rubbing paint on works, but the stick was much less messy because it was almost like a wax.

Any help would be most welcome.

JimC

Default Re: Restoring Etched Numbers on Framing Square

I get paint sticks from Premire1Supply you can also get them at PBS animal health stores.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by asc2078 View Post

One thing that I am curious about on this thread, is why anyone would want to restore an old framing square? Unless it is a family heirloom, it is such an inexpensive item to replace that I can't see myself bothering with such a thing. They are available in many stores from $9 to $20. One can even purchase one with a laser guide on it for under $30.

http://www.amazon.com/LPI-FR-16-Lase...6353788&sr=8-1

DB
    Let's just say that I'm frugal and don't have many $$$ since I retired. Also, I don't use the framing square often enough to justify buying a new one.

Jim

Here's a thought.

After you've cleaned the square (sc**** out the grooves and wipe with mineral apirits) spray paint the areas where the grooves are black. After the paint dries go over it lightly with a fine grit sandpaper to take the surface paint off. Follow with a clearcoat to avoid rust.

Best wishes
    Eddie