+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Planting lore

Default Planting lore

There is a lot of planting lore around, like planting during the dark side of the moon and by astrological signs. The dark side of the moon may have some validity, but I remember hearing a long time ago about planting corn when oak leaves are the size of mouse ears.

That got me wondering if nature provided the best planting times, but for the most part, we just aren't in tune with it. Since then, I've heard a couple more. Plant potatoes, peas, lettuce and something else when the Forsythia blooms and set out or plant tomatoes when Dogwoods bloom.

Do any of you have some more of this planting lore that you would be willing to share? Maybe if we get enough, TOH might want to do an article about this. Over the years I have read many gardening books and subscribed to more than a few gardening magazines and I have never seen any comprehensive discussion on this.

Default Re: Planting lore

The Old Farmers Almanac is big on planting by astrological signs. I have read this magazine for about 30 years now I don't remember ever seeing anything on planting based on natural signs.

I'm looking for planting lore, not weather predictions.

Of course in the new world with folks moving into unknown or understood climates, using natural signs such as certain plants blooming or animal activity makes perfect sense. Native plants bloom according to length of day & soil temperature usually.
    Nowdays we are generally to disconnected from the cycles of nature to notice or care.
    Come to think of it the tree peepers came out right before I planted some peas & other cool weather crops. I never thought about it before. I just check a reference for recommended planting times.
    Their is a native bush/small tree called a serviceberry also known as a shadblow. It is supposed to bloom when the shad are running in the early spring. Blow is an old expression for a fish run. Unfortunately the Chesapeake doesn't have much shad in it anymore, but in Colonial times they grew to six feet or more & were a major source of food.

The only thing I can remember is planting potatoes when things are cold and the sprouting will be really bold. Plant potatoes when things are hot, your crops are surely bound to rot. My grandmother used to say that one. But we never grew potatoes back then. I do use it to get my husband started early now.
    Debby in Oklahoma

I am interested in everyone's opinion.

The three examples I gave are the only ones that I have. I wish I had more, in fact that is the reason for the post.

Weather patterns in the spring usually follow 8 day cycles, each one have higher low and high temperatures. After a certain number of cycles, and the length of daylight, certain trees begin to leaf out or bloom. Certain perennials come up during their appointed cycle. What I am looking for is timing of planting annuals and vegetables based on what is leafing out, blooming or popping up through the ground.

There may be other indicators as well, like the first Robin or termites swarming etc.

Not that this has to do with planting, but the recommended time to apply Dimension crabgrass control is about the time the forsythia blooms start to fade. The forsythia bloom based on soil temp & the crabgrass seeds are about ready to germinate about that time.