+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default cutting cultured marble

I've got a very large cultured marble vanity top that I'm trying to remove. I'd like to cut it in two to remove it. Can I use a regular circular saw?

Default Re: cutting cultured marble

nope like other "stone" products you're going to need a "wet" saw to do cut it because the blade can get too hot and ruin your saw.

The best thing to do is muscle it out.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Yes, you can cut it with the same masonry saw blades you'd use to cut stone or concrete. The problem is it is a dusty, smelly, messy job to cut any type of "masonry" product, so I agree with Debby that muscling it out would be the best course of action. There's got to be a friend of neighbor or a few small children that can help with the heave-ho.

Ooops I'm sorry I forgot to mention the masonry blade.
    Debby in Oklahoma

The only thing I'm going to put towards this argument is this. I buy my cultured products directly from a manufacturer that also install their own products. They recommend masonry blades. I've watched their installers and they use diamond blades in both circular saws and in angle grinders. I've used diamond blades to cut and grind on cultured products with no ill effects to the blades. I've used steel saber and jigsaw blades to enlarge cut-outs for new sinks and they don't last for poop! I've not seen a carbide tipped blade for a saber/jigsaw or I'd have probably tried that too.

I figure if the manufacturer uses and recommends a certain type of blade, that's good enough for me.

Sprucey,

Quickie Google landed this.

I buy Boschie 9"ers locally......two in a pack for $20.

Great for cutting concrete, etc.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...key=THDSiteMap