+ Reply to Thread

Thread: deck question

Default decks

I am installing a composite deck (trex) on top of a garage with a flat roof. I am looking for a way to fasten the 1x4 pressure treated wood which I'm using as sleepers to the roof top without puncturing the roof.

Thank you,

Mike NYC

Default Re: decks

Do you have a curb around the perimeter of the roof ? .... since you should have and need railings being up that high.

If you do then I wouldn't do any fastening just have the deck floating on something like strips of foam to act as a cushion. This way the deck can be in sections to allow you to pick them up for maintenance and future roof work.

The problem would be for every fastener that penetrates the roofing material is a point for potential leaks .... in my opinion.

Ditto......Canuk.

Composite decking is usually quite heavy. (Trex, for example) If the force of winds would pick up say 4'x4' or larger sections of composite decking......you'd likely have way more pressing issues to deal with because it would require tornadic winds to do that.

You will need some manner of cushion under the bottom of the sleepers......as mentioned. Which material will work best-est......may depend upon what material comprises the roof. If the roof is EPDM.....strips of EPDM fastened to the bottom of the sleepers will work dandy.

What will work best......depends.

I would consider using 2x wood for the sleepers. Besides adding a little weight and possibly better drainage, you can use the proper length screws without penetrating the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by mike N.Y.C View Post
    I am installing a composite deck (trex) on top of a garage with a flat roof. I am looking for a way to fasten the 1x4 pressure treated wood which I'm using as sleepers to the roof top without puncturing the roof.

Thank you,

Mike NYC
    I saw an episode of Hometime where they did this on Miriam's flat roof. They didn't fasten the sleepers down at all. They rested them on an extra piece of roofing.
    Debby in Oklahoma