+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Knock off the pop ups!

Hey TOH,

Knock off all of the irritating pop ups on this board or lose a long time member.

Default Re: Knock off the pop ups!

That probably explains why the site gets quirky and sloooow since having all sorts of filters set for block ups and such.

I run this and don't get any pop-ups here except for PMs.....which I want, of course.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...cription.html#

But yes......this site is super-thick with the ad banners up top......which load on every freakin' page. I guess they have to sell stuff to pay for all that $5 Starbucks coffee for the crew. It's kinda like most any mag these days; 85% ads and 15% meat.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 03-20-2008 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks ****ie, my Google blocker was not stopping this full page pop up for some liquidation sale everytime I switched pages. Your blocker download seems to be working.

I was getting that damned thing last night, around 10pm, it seems to be gone now. Having to shut it off after each and EVERY page load was more than irritating and I just left the site. If that kind of garbage continues, I certainly won't be sticking around.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Thanks ****ie, my Google blocker was not stopping this full page pop up for some liquidation sale everytime I switched pages.
    Well, of course not. Google is being paid enough extra by the advertiser..... so they configured the pop-up to do an end run around their own blocker. Follow the money trail, dude.

I run very little stuff from Google. No web-browser search bars, weather bars, yada,yada,yada. Google vid player, yes. Google Earth, yes. Sketchup, yes. No problems yet from those. Same for web-browser Yahoo junk. Instant messenger is just begging for trouble. Might as well roll out the red carpet for vandals. This stuff crashes puters.....sooner or later. I shouldn't complain though cause I make good money cleaning or totally reloading systems to get rid of all that infectious crap. Most every client has at least one puter, sometimes several. They have no idea what they're doing and will download/install all manner of everything and anything. "Click here and you can have this new cool thingie".... flashes in their face.....and so they do. Last one I did had over thirty viruses in it....not to mention all the ad-ware, etc. Changing their puter's dirty diapers has become a fairly lucrative sideline.

Reminds me of the integral "firewall" in XP. It only blocks incoming, no outgoing. Everything inside is free to call home. Bet it doesn't block any incoming calls/requests from the MS mothership either. I run Zone Alarm free. It takes the bull by the horns.

"They have no idea what they're doing"...............

Yup, I'm one of those when it comes to computers. Let me run my apps and that's all I care to know.

Kinda funny though; we recently upgraded all the pc's at work. Out of 11 pc's it was discovered that my firewall was turned off but I had the only pc with 0 garbage on it. I just gotta watch those emails from spruce. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    I just gotta watch those emails from spruce. LOL
    Crap! He's on to me!

Betsy Guest

Can you please detail what pop-ups and takeover ads you're seeing here and when?

Quote Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
    Can you please detail what pop-ups and takeover ads you're seeing here and when?
    The one I'm referring to happened last night, around 10pm PST. It was a full page pop up for some liquidation sale every time a new page loaded or was refreshed. It looks like the same one Kentvw was experiencing this morning as well. I got ****** around 8am PST and it was gone.

There was another, smaller, less intrusive pop-up that was happening a week or two ago. It only happened when you moused over the banner ad in the header of the page.

One final pop-up that gets annoying is the one for "Get 2 free trial issues" that drops down and blocks access to the PM folder button. There is no need to yell it to sell it, people will find the ads and click the buttons they need to find those products.