+ Reply to Thread

Default enameled metal wall tiles

hi all we have a 1950's kitchen that is tiled with aquamarine tiles on all 4 walls and the ceiling. these tiles are metal, but enameled like an appliance, or the metal cabinets that we also have. some of the tiles have fallen off, and behind them is a backing that looks a bit like particle board. it's about 1/2" thick, and is divided into 1 1/2" squares by grooves. my concern is asbestos. we are seriously thinking about tearing it out and re-doing the kitchen, but need to know if it would be a major operation. (incidentally, anyone who may be interested in some sears/Homart cabinets and these hardy metal tiles, please contact me. any info. would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: enameled metal wall tiles

The problematic house I had from 1998-2001 had those in the bathroom around the tub. They indeed had an asbestos filled backer board behind them. I just used liquid nails to put them back up and left it for the next home owner to deal with.
    Debby in Oklahoma

uh-oh. that's not good. I guess we should consider not touching it at all...

Asbestos won't hurt you if it's not friable, meaning falling apart & getting in the air. Liquid nails seems like a good way to secure the metal to encapsulate the backer and keep everyone safe for the time being. If you want to remove it, have it tested and abated properly if it contains asbestos.

Cool Re: enameled metal wall tiles

Quote Originally Posted by ddcorina View Post
    uh-oh. that's not good. I guess we should consider not touching it at all...
    You're okay to put an adhesive on it and put it back. If you want to rip it out and replace it then you need to test it to be sure.
    Debby in Oklahoma

thank you for your advice. I think the missing tiles are going to go back on the wall, and get sealed and painted. Hopefully it will look okay when all is said and done