+ Reply to Thread

Question Both white and Black wire are carrying a load.

I was in the base adding a light in one of the rooms, and tapped into a romex wire at was near by. When I turned the breaker back on it tripped. I checked my wiring and everything was right, so I disconnected the romex wire. When I reconnected it the way it was and rechecked it I found out it was wired to my kitchens 3-way light switch. After this I called it a night, and went to bed with everything working. When I woke up the light in the 2nd floor bathroom, and two bedrooms is not working. When I put the meter on the wall plug I get voltage on the black wire, and on the white wire in the three rooms. But the breaker is not tripping, and everything is back the way it was when I started. Please give me an idea where else to look.

Default Re: Both white and Black wire are carrying a load.

If you are measuring the voltage from ground on the black wire and on the white wire at those plugs .... It sounds as though you don't have the wires reconnected in the proper orientation after trying to tap in.

Please don't take this the wrong way ... I would suggest you contact an electrician to come in as soon as possible to correct this .... you have a dangerous condition existing.

It seems confusing. This is only one circuit? Why was it connected to the three-way switch? If the white conductor is carrying a load "it is hot", then it should be with a black tape at every accessible point. If the circuit began at the light fixture, then the white conuctor is "hot" and should be taped black. I do not understand the other two rooms. Is this a 15-ampere circuit? Are the travelers in the three-way switch red?

It seems confusing.
    Yep ..... when in doubt call an electrician other wise it can be dangerous.

Hello guys

One of the previous owners of my house had wired up this 3way switch, and had used a piece of romex with only three wires in it making the ground wire the common, and the black and white wires hot. So when I saw it I assumed it was a norm wire and had tried to tap into it for power. I have now fixed that problem the right way with four wires. But I have a different problem upstair. I didn't know if these were related or not. Just want to give enough detail of what happened. The problem upstair is that I'm still getting power on the black and white wires in the boxes. The house was built in 1932. These boxes only have two wires in them one white and one black and no ground.

Richard .... I hear ya .... that's always an issue when someone else monkeys with wires.

I'm still getting power on the black and white wires in the boxes. The house was built in 1932. These boxes only have two wires in them one white and one black and no ground.
    Without a ground wire at these boxes how are you determinig that you have voltage on the white wires?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    It seems confusing. This is only one circuit? Why was it connected to the three-way switch? If the white conductor is carrying a load "it is hot", then it should be with a black tape at every accessible point. If the circuit began at the light fixture, then the white conuctor is "hot" and should be taped black. I do not understand the other two rooms. Is this a 15-ampere circuit? Are the travelers in the three-way switch red?
    Not all states require the "White Wire" to be re-marked if not used as a neutral. I live in MASS and that was one of their admendments to the N.E.C. Code. Figured I'd just share that it might serve as a good thing to remember in the future.