+ Reply to Thread

Question Intermittent Leaks Thru flapper

Hello, Our home was just remodeled which included a new toilet. It leaks about twice an hour, barely. I have adjusted the chain, etc. Is there a sealer I can use to make the flapper seal properly? Or does the flapper just need replacemant...

Default Re: Intermittent Leaks Thru flapper

I believe what you are talking about is a constant slow leak and the toilet refilling twice and hour. Is the toilet still under warranty? I would start by replacing the flapper. Turn the water off and take the flapper with you to make sure you get a matching replacement. I have seen $300 water bills because of this type of leak.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I have replaced the flapper and I still hear it leaking (refilling) about ever hour or so. Should I purchase the rubber seal that goes under the flapper on the back tank or just try a different flapper? What is a acceptable amount of water loss from this problem?

Royce:

Question Re: Intermittent Leaks Thru flapper

Thanks for the Info, I replaced the the rubber seal and flushing device with flapper, all parts from kohler for the model stated on the in side of the toilet and it is still losing water, in two hours it lost around three inches of water from the tank. HELP,,,I don't know what to do??

Royce

is still losing water, in two hours it lost around three inches of water from the tank
    Curious .... the water level in the tank drops 3 inches .... does the tank refill when this level drops ?

Is this drop in level below the fill line or mark inside the tank?

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Curious .... the water level in the tank drops 3 inches .... does the tank refill when this level drops ?

Is this drop in level below the fill line or mark inside the tank?
    I turned the water off and was timing the water lose. It does trigger the water supply when float drops below the set point.
    I have the water level right at the bottom of the water line marked on the tube. I have noticed that it has slowed down a day after I installed the new parts, but is still leaking.

If you replaced the flapper with an aftermarket one instead of a OEM one they are not all created equal. Sometimes the after market ones just don't quite sit exactly to seal. You might try applying some downward pressure to the flapper to see if the leak stops. Sometimes with a replacement there is some fine tuning to get it to seal.

Just a thought.