+ Reply to Thread

Default Looking for new replacement windows cost and performance.

Hello board. I live in North West New Jersey. Very cold winters. I want to replace all of my windows. Would like to start with the living room which has a picture window, I would like to install a bay window. I need sliding doors to the yard and a casement window in the kitchen. My other windows are set higher up and are awning windows. I want good quality windows because I don't plan on selling anytime soon. How much would each cost and please recommend a good quality. Does anyone recommend Marvin Windows? I was told they're actually a better performing window than the Pella series. Thanks,Tom.

Default Re: Looking for new replacement windows cost and performance.

Nobody can tell you how much windows will cost for your house. Visit showrooms and take your window dimensions and they can give a ballpark figure. Even better, after visiting, have a rep visit to measure the windows and check out your house and discuss your needs. There's no substitute for hands-on research.

I highly recommend Marvin windows. I researched windows for 8 yers and Marvin was always my dream window until, at the last minute, I saw my cousin's Kolbe windows in his newly refurbished house. I put off signing with Marvin and visited the Kolbe showroom that afternoon. I am convinced of the quality of both companies. I went with Kolbe because they offered more dimensional choices (thinner muntin profiles) and a better price.

I also researched Pella, which I liked as well, but they were my least favorite of the three.

Take your time and do your research. A hasty decision now can mean decades of regret.

Tom,

Consumer Reports is a good source of information. I researched windows this March and checked their ratings and recommendations. For clad windows (no maintenance covering on the outside, wood on the inside) the top rated window was Marvin Clad Ultimate. These windows are aluminum clad. The suggested price is $400 for their reference window. (Sorry, I don’t know what size that is.) The Anderson 200 Series (Woodwright)-Tilt Wash was a Consumer Reports Best Buy at $235. These prices do not include installation. For fiberglass windows the Pella Inpervia rated quite high (87 out of 100). It was also a CR best buy at $255.

You can get a one month subscription to CR ****** for (I think) $5. It is well worth it to get this membership to read what they say about the windows.

Sherry

Tom,

One more thing…..

You need to decide if you want full frame replacement windows (they take out the sashes and frames) or inserts (they take out the sashes and leave the old frames which essentially serve as the rough opening for the new window inserts. Inserts are more expensive but are less disruptive to the interior and exterior. They are also cheaper to install since they take less labor time.

Check out this web page for Anderson Windows – they explain it well. FYI.. your existing frames must be square and rot free to use inserts.

Full frame replacement and inserts

Sherry

We are replacing all fop the windows in our house the beginning of September...so I will know more then. I did a lot of research, got several quotes. I think Pella windows look beautiful, but they were more than twice the cost of the ones we chose. We are using the Andersen replacement windows in the front areas of the house (where we are more concerned about the "look". Amd we are using Milgard vinyl in the back areas of the house.

Good luck in your search!

Marvin Marvin Marvin. No question.