+ Reply to Thread

Default Containing dust in old joists

I am renovating an old building that has 25 ft, 2x12 rough sawn joists exposed. I removed old mildewed ceiling tile, cleared out old insulation and am going to leave all the joists exposed as I've got a new pitched roof with insulation on top of the old flat roof. This old timber is in great shape, despite lots of leakage over years of abandonment. I want to stain the beams with an opaque stain but there is a lot of dust clinging onto the beams. I've used a leaf blower and have started hand brushing but there seems to be no end to the dust that emerges as the grain is very deep. So I'm wondering if the right sealer, varnish, etc. might just glue the dust in place after I've stained ? If so, could anyone recommend a product or offer any other suggestions ? Thanks.

Default Re: Containing dust in old joists

A Shop Vac with a brush attached . Worth a try .

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    A Shop Vac with a brush attached . Worth a try .
    Yeah... been doing that, but this dust is really embedded in the grain and though I'm getting as much as I can that way, there is still a lot left that you can see if you slap a joist or brush it some more. Most shop vac brushes are too soft as well. I've been using the stiffest brushes I can find and just wearing a dust mask and goggles. I really feel like some type of sealer is going to have to be used on top of the stain and I really need apply it with a sprayer.

Have you considered power washing?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Have you considered power washing?
    Jack
    No.. it could be bad news to force water up into the old roof boards and under the metal roof and through to the insulation. Might have been the thing to do before I put the new peaked roof in place, but I believe it's too late now. -And there were freezing temps back then and I didn't have my 2 wood burning stoves installed...! I think the scrubbing, vacumming and sealing with a latex varnish of some sort is the way to go. I'm just searching for a good varnish type of sealer (going over my stain) that has a good adhesion property -this stuff may be a candidate:
    http://www.ecoproducts.com/Building/...eal%20data.pdf