+ Reply to Thread

Default SOLATUBE, opinions?

Do you have any advice or opinions regarding the overall installation and end performance of the home improvement.
    Is it worth the money? How is the performance? Has the advertisements lead you astray?

It appears to be an improvement that I would like, but I don't want to install and learn that it is not what is cracked up to be.
    My location is Minnesota, total cost, installed is about $600.

Default Re: SOLATUBE, opinions?

I've had a number of them installed on clients homes and they do work as advertised in bringing in a good amount of light. One customer even complained that it was too bright, so we put a diffuser in it to tone it down a touch. Now, the installs that I had done (I didn't personally install the units, though it didn't look too complicated ) were less than 3' from roof to interior diffuser, so they provided more light than if the tubes would have been longer or had bends in them.

I considered installing one in my home to brighten up a dark stairwell, but decided that it was time to move instead. Overall I think they are a great, inexpensive way to bring in a lot of natural light, without the maintenance or heat gain/loss that you'd see with a regular skylight.

As long as it's situated so it's not covered with snow ..... sounds like a good idea.

I considered installing one in my home to brighten up a dark stairwell, but decided that it was time to move instead
    Sprucey ... Sprucey .... Sprucey .... isn't that the reason for selling the place .... so you wouldn't have to install it ?

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Sprucey ... Sprucey .... Sprucey .... isn't that the reason for selling the place .... so you wouldn't have to install it ?
    Why didn't you tell me this when SWMBO demanded that the place be remodeled if she was to spend another second there? If it weren't for her buying me my shop, I don't think it would have been worth it.