+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Caulk gaps in underlayment or not?

Hi,

I'm installing sheet vinyl in a kitchen with my neighbor. We removed the old particleboard underlayment and replaced it with 3/4" AC plywood. We left 1/8" gaps at the seams and edges for expansion.

So we were about to caulk these gaps when a friend dropped by and said he read somewhere (?) that caulk will prevent expansion and could be a problem. He said we should leave the gaps open.

We're leaning toward caulking it because caulk seems like it will "give" and allow expansion and 2) if there's a gap, even a 1/8" one, beneath the vinyl flooring it seems like that could be an issue (easy to puncture).

Then again maybe the sheet vinyl adhesive will fill these gaps and make caulking unnecessary?

Thanks for any help on this.

Default Re: Caulk gaps in underlayment or not?

I would think that the adhesive filling the gap is going to prevent expansion as well. If you don't fill the gap the vinyl is going to settle in there anyway. My vote is for caulk but I'm not really sure.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Thank you both for the replies. I appreciate the feedback.

debbysewn,

Caulk makes sense to me too. It seems like it would allow more expansion than adhesive, which in my experience dries harder than caulk. But I don't really know either.

YukYuk,

So you're saying that the gaps should not be filled? Interesting. I've noticed that higher-grade sheet vinyl is much thicker and more durable these days so maybe the gaps are not a big deal.

The 3/4" plywood is due to a change in plans. Originally it was going to be ceramic tile with Ditra, so my buddy put in the 3/4". Hopefully it'll work out okay.

As for not applying adhesive to the entire floor, I've seen some people do that around here and haven't heard of any problems.

Fill the gaps with floor leveler or similar. If you don't the cracks will telegraph thru the vinyl..and you will not be a happy camper. If you're worried about expansion, then I'd suggest you use a polyurethane caulk and allow at least three days curing time before laying the vinyl. (I have as yet to see a plywood underlayment expand enough to cause problems unless it was over a very wet crawl space....or drenched from a long neglected plumbing leak under a sink, toilet or similar. If that's the case, you'll likely be pulling up the vinyl and underlayment anyway.)

As to perimeter-only adhered vinyl.....never would it be so in my house. I can run over to friend's house and take a couple pics of one of those deals after about 10 years since install. It's a joke, but not really funny. Quality vinyl installed by a true flooring pro. He also advised them against it. The vinyl has shrunk and the gapping at the mid-room seam is atrocious. I'm talking a 3/4" gap or so.

It is not difficult to fully adhere and roll out dead smooth...if you know what you're doing and pay attention. It's done many times...everyday of the week.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 03-16-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Yep ... totally agree with ****hiller ... imperfections will telegraph through the vinyl.
    The perimeter gluing is used though I don't like the idea ... a good example is a friend of mine has to re-do their kitchen floor because the vinyl has large bubbles in the field areas because only the perimeters were adhered.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Yep ... totally agree with ****hiller ... imperfections will telegraph through the vinyl.
    The perimeter gluing is used though I don't like the idea ... a good example is a friend of mine has to re-do their kitchen floor because the vinyl has large bubbles in the field areas because only the perimeters were adhered.
    No fan here for sure.

Had to run over to that place I referred to this morning cause I look after it whilst the owners are in Arizona for the winter. Luckily it's only about 1/4 mile away. So......I grabbed a couple pics while I was there.

And......I was wrong about the size of the gap. My bad.

It's actually 1 1/8" or a hair more at the worst spot. Didn't even manage to put the tape down in the worst/widest area. Duh.

(The room is a total of 15' wide perpendicular to this gap.)

Nice, eh?

PS - Pardon the dirt you see on the flooring as that's from me when I installed a new WH over there about a month ago......and from various trips thru the snow and into the house this winter to check on things. They're due back in about a month or so and I'll wipe it up before then......I promise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1164.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1165.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1166.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	857  
    Last edited by goldhiller; 03-17-2008 at 01:15 PM.

Thanks to everyone for all the great information. It's very much appreciated.

Just to clarify:

The old underlayment was particleboard. There's a subfloor beneath that made of 3/4" T&G 3" wide planks. The particleboard was removed and replaced with 3/4" plywood.

Given this scenario, it sounds like filling the gaps in the plywood underlayment is recommended.

Here's what I'm not sure about though: If I'm understanding YukYuk correcty, if the subfloor/underlayment is a single layer on top of the joists, then filling is not recommended. Whereas if there's a subfloor layer and underlayment then filling is all right.

Is this because the subfloor reduces the amount of expansion of the underlayment?

To complicate matters further, a friend's floor is bubbling like crazy. He used flooring leveler for the underlayment gaps and also to level various spots. He has a similar subfloor. What's odd is that the floor was fine for almost two years before bubbling, and there were no leaks or water damage or anything.

In other words, I'm still kind of lost. Thanks for the Armstrong links- on page 50 it says lightly butt the panels together but don't fill. Maybe I should fill the gaps in the seams but not at the baseboards?

Thanks again for the discussion. It's both interesting and helpful.