+ Reply to Thread

Default home without a/c

hello gentleman, i am thinking of buying a home that was built in 2004 but did not have an a/c unit installed. my question to all of you is would this be an expensive upgrade? also my real question is would this be possible with the current heating unit? if this is not enough information about the heating unit what i need to look for to see if it would be upgradable to accept an a/c unit. i aapreciate your answers and your input.

Default Re: home without a/c

Quote Originally Posted by philsep36 View Post
    hello gentleman, i am thinking of buying a home that was built in 2004 but did not have an a/c unit installed. my question to all of you is would this be an expensive upgrade? also my real question is would this be possible with the current heating unit? if this is not enough information about the heating unit what i need to look for to see if it would be upgradable to accept an a/c unit. i aapreciate your answers and your input.
    We are going to need to know a few things . What type of heating unit and ductwork do you have now ? What type of construction is the home ? How many stories ?

The house has two levels and a basement. The heater is gas serviced and is a forced air type unit. The home is believed to be a standard wood framed house. The unit is also in the basement. I hope this will clarify what I had failed to omit in my initial post. Thanks for your help.

Sounds very do-able . You'r going to have to get a HVAC guy to see if the ductwork is adequate and all of the other details . Get a couple of estimates and maybe do a little homework on different brands of units , etc .

i am thinking of buying a home that was built in 2004 but did not have an a/c unit installed. my question to all of you is would this be an expensive upgrade? also my real question is would this be possible with the current heating unit?

The heater is gas serviced and is a forced air type unit

The unit is also in the basement
    From the description you have a forced hot air furnace adding A/C should be easily done by a heating /cooling contractor.

This is a very common proceedure of adding a compressor unit outside with some tubing , electrical and a unit installed into the furnace itself and a new thermostat.... with pretty much no issues.

The price will depend on how large of an A/C unit will be required but generally is reasonable .... depends.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. My thoughts were that it could work, but was not sure. I appreciate your input and I guess I will be buying the house.

Just be aware that if the original system (even if forced-air) may have been designed with heating only in mind. Someone in the profession (as in professional) should come out and go through the entire system. At that time, it can be determined what is involved to add central air to the system AND be sure that it will take care of the entire home.

A load calc should be performed to determine exactly the size air conditioning needed to properly cool and dehumidify the home. The furnace also needs to be capable of moving the necessary air associated with the air conditioning system.

All the best, Irishmist