+ Reply to Thread

Default Add a new plywood subfloor between current hardwood subfloor?

I just bought an 1850 stone farmhouse which is in incredible condition. I have a list of cosmetic things that will really bring the house back to life. But I should probably take care of some more practical things first.

One thing we noticed is that some rooms on the second and third floor have decent original hardwood floors. But since there is no plywood subfloor, they are wavy, loose, and not entirely sturdy. Nothing that is typical of the age and method.

I would hate to cover the floors with new hardwood or carpet. So my question is:

Is it possible to pull up the current floor, lay a new subfloor of plywood, perhaps re-plane the original planks to help make them level, and then relay them as if they were new hardwood floors?

If this is possible, my next issue will be how to get sheets of 4x8 plywood into the third floor converted attic, since the only access is up a small curving stairway.

Thank for your help - I have a feeling I will be spending a lo of time on the board!

-Rick

Default Re: Add a new plywood subfloor between current hardwood subfloor?

Go for it. Reclaimed wood is a hot thing to use now, to preserve the original floors and still have some strength.

I'm not so sure about replaning the wood. It's not that I think it wouldn't work. It's the idea that the wood might be tongue and groove and although the top and bottom might be straight the tongue may not be.

Just keep in mind that adding the depth of the plywood is going to raise where you put the base molding and you'll need to trim the door moldings as well.
    Debby in Oklahoma