+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plumbing fix

Thumbs up plumbing fix

if you have some old galvanized waste drain that is next to impossible to clear, or if your changing your tub and and there is an old drum style trap, all you have to do is find where it joins the main stack, follow the pipe to the first 45 or 90 degree fitting, bang on the middle of it a few times and you will find that it cracks. Remove it and then unscrew the pipe that fits into the main. remove all the piping this way right to the drain of your fixture.REplace all of this with ABS and when you get to the main stack , choose the appropriate diameter that will fit into the opening, send it in a couple of inches and then seal the joint with some good quality wet/dry roofing pitch! presto! your done and it will last forever with no need to fuss with threaded connections that can be costly depending on the materials there made from as well as hard to find. Cheers, Derek

Default Re: plumbing fix

Derek, the plethora of bad (and, might I say illegal) advice that spews forth in your posts never ceases to amaze me.
    HTH

Dave

well dave I am pleased that you are amazed, any advice I give is meant for a homeowner who might be working on a shoestring budget and cannot afford to get a second mortgage on their house to call in a professional such as yourself, heck, for all I know you could just be a guy who sits at home all day reading technical manuals to feel important, savvy? You never know who you can meet on the internet. I learned that trick from an 80yr old plumber who was plumbing before you were born. Obviously you are not someone interested in dealing with someone on a tight budget. regards, Derek

Sawzall and a couple Ferncos would serve far better and be legal.

I'm afraid I have to side with Dave on this one, a practice that was common 80 some odd years ago is not applicable today. Regardless of trying to save the client or DIY'er money, it is never ok to knowingly provide bad advice. For the cost of what you've described as a "repair", the job can be done properly - to code. There will be less mess, less hassle, and no worries of future failure when done properly. Should your suggested patch fail, it will cause more damage that will be far more expensive to repair in the future than the few trinkets to do the job right the first time.

Derek, I hope that your 80-year old plumber is retired, because he could lose his license for doing this kind of work.

You give contractors a bad name.
    HTH

Dave

I've seen homeowners do all kinds of crazy things, but this one almost replaces #1 on my list! What's #1 you ask, it's a house that I saw where the homeowner installed a rain gutter INSIDE the attic to catch water dripping through the roof and just butted the end of the gutter up again an eave vent... when it rained the water would run through the louvers of the vent and down the building wall.
    Last edited by libcarp; 03-17-2008 at 03:42 PM.

Replacing a drain pipe to the stack ..... and roofing tar/pitch ?

I think I hears that thar Dueling Banjos song playin' in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by libcarp View Post
    I've seen homeowners do all kinds of crazy things, but this one almost replaces #1 on my list! What's #1 you ask, it's a house that I saw where the homeowner installed a rain gutter INSIDE the attic to catch water dripping through the roof and just butted the end of the gutter up again an eave vent... when it rained the water would run through the louvers of the vent and down the building wall.
    I saw something similar in an old health club done by the maintenance guy. He had constructed an extensive roof gutter system above the lay-in ceiling that captured roof leaks and let them to various drains in the building. The water damage was so bad that some of the concrete foundation had deteriorated to the point that the engineer wanted it replaced.