+ Reply to Thread

Smile Making a clean line caulking on textured backsplash.

Hi again to my favorite link. We had our kitchen renovated and I chose what looks like a textured tin ceiling for our backsplash. The line of caulking between countertop and backsplash has to follow the grooves in the backsplash even when masking tape is used because of the indents on the patterned backsplash. My question is it possible to tidy that up some.

Bev

Default Re: Making a clean line caulking on textured backsplash.

The keys to a well finished bead of caulk are to use the right caulking, use it sparingly, and use care while laying it off. The hardest caulk to use is silicone, for a multitude of reason, worst of which is that it will fail, then the real fun begins trying to remove it to reinstall it or any other type of caulk. I'll list a procedure for installing a good bead of caulk that works for all types of caulk, though there are nuances with some types that require more care.

1. It is imperative that the surfaces to be sealed are clean, dry, and dust free.
    2. Cut the tip of the caulking tube at approximately a 45 degree angle, with a hole diameter no larger than 1/8", smaller is better if you're not real experienced with caulking.
    3. When applying the bead, don't apply a longer bead than can be laid off before it dries or tacks off.
    4. Use the tip of the caulking tube to force the bead into the gap, but not pool around the tip. If you start getting pooling, stop, clean the tip of the tube, then start again. Adjust your application speed accordingly to minimize/stop the pooling.
    5. Using latex caulk, wet your fingertip on a clean damp rag and drag it along the bead for 2-3". Stop, clean your fingertip, rewet fingertip, continue another 2-3". Continue these short strokes from one end to the other along the bead, then clean and wet your finger one last time and make a full length stroke from end to end. Wash the rag regularly to keep it and your finger as clean as possible throughout the process.
    6. Using silicone, this is where things get very tricky and it's important not to apply too much caulk, less is better, more applications/layers is better than making a mess that will be next to impossible to clean up. Follow the same application method as used for latex. To lay it off, have a misting bottle with rubbing alcohol in it. Lightly mist the bead, surrounding area, and your fingertip, then follow with the 2-3" strokes, cleaning and rewetting your finger with alcohol each time, then again for the final full length stroke.
    If you've got deep grooves or crevices where the caulking wants to collect, clean these areas immediately, it's far easier to remove wet caulk than it is dry caulk. Using the short strokes will help prevent undue build-up, but you will get some. Just work slowly and carefully and you'll do fine. One of the great things about latex caulk is that you can completely remove a fresh bead with a damp rag, so any boo-boo's can quickly and easily be removed and redone. Silicone isn't as forgiving, so great care should be used in it's application. I personally avoid silicone for all but the most extreme applications.

Hope this has helped, report back with your results.

Smile Re: Making a clean line caulking on textured backsplash.

Thank you for the advice and yes I was able to keep a more even line of caulking with less build up. I used a plastic spoon to smooth down caulking in each groove to match the straight line. It seemed to work pretty good.

Bev

Default Re: Making a clean line caulking on textured backsplash.

Glad to have helped. As with most things, caulking gets easier the more of it you do. You pick up techniques and tricks that make the job faster.