+ Reply to Thread

Default Astroturf my deck

My wife and I just had a baby girl,and our deck is in bad condition (old wood,splinters etc).Therefore we would like to astroturf the deck so baby girl can crawl on it in a few short months.
    My questions are :

-Do I have to lay a base (wood ,water-proof carpet mat etc) on top of the old wood before laying the astroturf.?
    -What would be the best way to secure the astro (Polyurethane adhesive or staples??)
    -Can you stretch astroturf to be 'tight' like laying regular carpet?

As no one seems to know a whole lot about astroturf, any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Cheers

Oxford, Indiana. (60 mi NW of Indianapolis)

Default Re: Astroturf my deck

[QUOTE
    My questions are :

-Do I have to lay a base (wood ,water-proof carpet mat etc) on top of the old wood before laying the astroturf.?
    -What would be the best way to secure the astro (Polyurethane adhesive or staples??)
    -Can you stretch astroturf to be 'tight' like laying regular carpet?

As no one seems to know a whole lot about astroturf, any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Hey! If its an outdoor deck that gets rained on you would not want a solid base...because you would need the gaps for drainage. Outdoor carpet is made to withstand moisture and will cover the splinters.
    If you are ever planning on removing the carpet, staples are the best route...outdoor adhesive is tricky because you would have to spread it evenly and may not adhere to your deck if it is heavily damaged. Also, if you ever plan to take up the astroturf the glue will give you headaches.
    As far as the strechiness of astroturf...fasten one edge down and then you can pull it tight over the opposite edge and fasten it down and then cut the excess off.
    These are just suggestions as i am not an expert in astroturf. Have a great day!

My parents have had a series of 'astroturfed' decks (good size ones, about 10 feet deep and the length of their house) for nearly 35 years. They are great! Easy to clean, just blow off or let the rain do it.

They were a 'do it yourself project'. He used plywood over the decking, then glued the turf down. Didn't even have to edge it. Tips: Make sure the deck drains well, and away from the house. Measure and cut CAREFULLY. Make sure you like the color of the astroturf; some are quite blue, some garishly bright, others a very natural green. Blow it off regularly. Buy the best quality you can possibly afford, because the cheap stuff will stretch and leave 'waves'.

I did the same thing on my old deck when my girls were small. It's not a bad temporary measure to keep the splinters out of the kids. All I did was use a few staples at some edges to keep it from blowing up in the wind & secured a metal carpet edge at the step to prevent tripping on the carpet. It needs a good scrubbing or powerwashing every now & then to keep it clean. The only thing that bothered me was that it would stay wet a while after it rained. Walking out on the deck in your socks sometimes left them soggy.

best of both worlds, now you practice putting as well!