+ Reply to Thread

Default Rubber "tiles" for area near pool patio

We have a 16' x 24' area next to our concrete pool patio that we need to surface. Currently it's just gravel. We had planned to put in concrete, but then we thought that it might be better to lay down a rubber tile/paver product instead, which would be more kid-friendly. I'm getting a little frustrated searching for the right product. Has anyone else done this type of thing? If so, which product did you use? I'm most interested in 2x2 or 3x3 tiles that attach to each other with pins, or the like, rather than adhesive.

Default Re: Rubber "tiles" for area near pool patio

The extreme makeover show did a house & horse barn recently in MD that used recycled rubber pavers. Is that the type of thing you are looking for? I don't have any other info than that, you would have to google search to see if anything pops up.

How about the tile they use to protect the floor in construction projects? Or the segmented units they click together for garage floors?

I was going to suggest the material they use in splash pads but that's a poured in product and pricey.

I found the place that provided the flooring for a physical therapy office I used to go to and they have outdoor material too.

http://www.rubbercal.com/Playground_Surfacing.html
    Debby in Oklahoma

Thanks, YukYuk, for that lead.

Prior posters: Yes, I definitely googled and found many, many product websites that seemed relevant. But when I looked at them, their discussion was always about how a product was good for an exercise room, a playground or even equine uses. I'm sure some of these products would be good for a patio, too, but the websites never made that at all clear. Thanks for your comments, and I'll keep plugging, starting with this aquaflex stuff.

Thanks a lot for the link. That's interesting looking stuff. Not sure, but I don't think it would work for us, since our current surface is gravel. I'm hoping to find click-together or pin-together tiles made of recycled rubber that we can lay over a permeable surface, like packed gravel or sand. We would need something that is fade-resistent, but luckily we clean our pool with an Eco-Smarte (copper) system, so chemicals are a non-issue.

Unlike you, I do have to consider a product that can survive being in sub-freezing temperatures and covered in snow for months at a time!

Debby in OK:

I think that rubbercal product might be just the thing. Thanks a lot for the help.

You're welcome.

after finding it for you and seeing that it is okay outside, I think I may do the same thing, post again to tell us how it turned out.
    Debby in Oklahoma