+ Reply to Thread

Default How to install a handrail leading to the basement?

I am trying to install a handrail that leads from the first floor to the basement. There are approximately 10 to 12 steps which is about 10 foot long. It is a straight shot so no angles to work around. There is enough wall at the top of the stairs to simply attach the handrail to a bracket and attach the bracket to a stud. My question comes at the bottom of the steps. The bottom of the steps is open and there is nothing to attach the railing to for support.

Do I just attach a post to the bottom step and a bracket to the post? If so, what is the best type of post to use? What is the best way to attach the post to the stairwell/bottom step? and is it best to just attach a bracket to this post and attach the handrail onto the bracket?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Default Re: How to install a handrail leading to the basement?

Your basement steps are the same configuration as my parents. When we installed a handrail for them we added a 4x4 post. We notched it to receive the step at the bottom and notched it to receive the beam at the top. The handrail bracket was attached to the beam.

Hope this helps.

Default Re: How to install a handrail leading to the basement?

Thanks for the help! What is the best way to attach the 4X4 post to the steps? Not sure what type of bolt etc... would be best.