+ Reply to Thread

Default Reduce front load washer vibrations

Stumbled across this by accident one day.

Our front load washer was shaking quite a bit from time to time to the point our attached-house neighbor complained to us. I had two bottles of detergent in hand, and placed them on top of the front loader for a moment to free my hands, and noticed the vibration dropped off quite a bit. I filled the top with bottles and the vibration was virtually eliminated.

Now, we place all extra bottles of detergent, softener and even some plain old filled bottles of water as ballast on top of the machine.

The liquids act like a shock absorber and soak up the energy of the vibration, dramatically reducing and virtually eliminating washer vibration most of the time. The bottles will walk around a bit on the washer, so make sure they are big enough not to fall down in some hard-to-reach side gap around the machine.

Default Re: Reduce front load washer vibrations

Most front loaders will do just fine if placed directly on the floor. Where vibrations usually come into play is when the machines are placed on pedestals. We recently replaced our old top loaders with front load machines. In the process of shopping around and learning about the different machines, our quest took us to a dealer/repair shop. It was here that we were told that the #1 complaint about front loaders is vibration, and 100% of those complaints came from owners with their machines on pedestals. This makes perfect sense because the pedestals are not all that structurally sound. Sure, they won't collapse in on themselves and keep the machine from falling over, but because of the drawer, there's no torsional strength, resulting in wobble when the machine goes into it's spin cycles and causing the vibration.

We live in a house that transmits sound and vibration from one end to the other. You can feel the floor flex when someone walks behind you. The old top loader would shake the house like a freight train was rumbling by. The new front loader is not noticeable at all.

My recommendation is if you're having problems with vibrations from a front loader and it's on a pedestal, remove the pedestals. If you've got excessive vibration when it's in direct contact with the floor, then contact the service center, because it shouldn't be that significant. Also, it's important to not that these machines shake and shimmy when they're in spin mode, so you DO NOT want them touching each other, nor do you want them touching a wall. The only thing that it should be touching is the floor with it's own feet.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

arands discovered the basic problem of these machines in that they are experiencing resonant vibrations based on the flooring that they're placed (vibrating just like a tuning fork if you will). But just as easily as a tuning fork can be silenced, so can these resonant vibrations. See this simple DIY fix that works even better than your detergent bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Most front loaders will do just fine if placed directly on the floor. Where vibrations usually come into play is when the machines are placed on pedestals. We recently replaced our old top loaders with front load machines. In the process of shopping around and learning about the different machines, our quest took us to a dealer/repair shop. It was here that we were told that the #1 complaint about front loaders is vibration, and 100% of those complaints came from owners with their machines on pedestals. This makes perfect sense because the pedestals are not all that structurally sound. Sure, they won't collapse in on themselves and keep the machine from falling over, but because of the drawer, there's no torsional strength, resulting in wobble when the machine goes into it's spin cycles and causing the vibration.

We live in a house that transmits sound and vibration from one end to the other. You can feel the floor flex when someone walks behind you. The old top loader would shake the house like a freight train was rumbling by. The new front loader is not noticeable at all.

My recommendation is if you're having problems with vibrations from a front loader and it's on a pedestal, remove the pedestals. If you've got excessive vibration when it's in direct contact with the floor, then contact the service center, because it shouldn't be that significant. Also, it's important to not that these machines shake and shimmy when they're in spin mode, so you DO NOT want them touching each other, nor do you want them touching a wall. The only thing that it should be touching is the floor with it's own feet.
    I agree with that.........