+ Reply to Thread

Default Any suggestions for changing the look of a ranch style house with a pergola???

We have just spent the last 2 years renovating a 1940s ranch style house. Part of that included enclosing an open "breezeway" to pull the front door from the side of the house to the new-"front" and create a foyer. We are now trying to figure out how to change the look of the front of this house without the HUGE cost...and were considering adding a pergola to frame in the new beautiful double black french doors and to possibly run it down the length of the house.
    Has anyone ever done this or have a suggestion as a way to change a boring, flat "face" of a ranch without major construction???

Any suggestions for plans/styles for this for DIYers?

Thanks!!!

Default Re: Any suggestions for changing the look of a ranch style house with a pergola???

You could try using either stone or brick on the front to change the look somewhat. Also you could add a front porch and roof that would stick out from the front of the house. I've seen this done and it really adds to the look of a very plain ranch house. Build a new porch, whether it's wood or a slab, then put some columns and the roof on. Tie the roof back to the existing roof and you'd have quite a different look. Not that hard if you've ever seen or done it before. Get a book on roof framing and you'll see how to run the rafters, tie them into the roof, etc.

Good Luck.

Default Re: Any suggestions for changing the look of a ranch style house with a pergola???

I agree that the pergola would draw attention and add drama. However, to add it to the length of the house wouldn't bring the effect you're looking for.

if you are looking for a full length porch look, you're just extending the ranch look out a little more.

I am assuming that you have a flat front ranch, not one like mine that has the full length of the garage first then you walk down the side of the garage to get to the recessed front door.

I would look around at pergola pictures in magazines and on the internet until you find a style you like, look up Ranch house renovations too and see if anything speaks to you.

Good luck.
    Debby in Oklahoma