+ Reply to Thread

Question Electical problem in room

I have a problem with no power going to a bedroom? There are two rooms on 1 curcit breaker one room has power the other room dose not have power the outlets have current on the black wire and little current on the white wire side? Is there a idea out there that can help the house is 14 yrs old. vmarnell@nc.rr.com email me with information please.

Default Re: Electical problem in room

Sounds like a bad connection at one of the upstream outlets. Turn off the breaker, check for power at the outlet (to be certain it has been de-energized ), then open up the outlets one at a time and check all the connections in each box, in both bedrooms. BTW, you should be checking that each outlet is de-energized, even in the "dead" bedroom, just to be certain that there are no other circuits involved.

Good luck, and report back.

In the room that has power is there a GFCI receptacle and if there is check to see if it's tripped.

How are you measuring the "current' or voltage on the black and white wires?

Question Re: Electical problem in room

There is no gfi breaker in system and measure the voltage with a meter.

have current on the black wire and little current on the white wire side?
    So if you were reading the voltage with your meter leads on the black wire and the white wire are you seeing about 120 volts?

If you put your meter leads on the back wire and the ground you should see about 120 volts. Between ground and the white wire you should have zero volts because they are at the same potential. If you are using one of those digital meters you might see a fluctuating number in millivolts which could be misleading because of EM. If you use a dial type of meter this wouldn't show up. I think if you reading voltage on the white nuetral wire the breaker would trip.
    Sounds like you have a bad nuetral connection that feeds between room 1 and 2.

Question Re: Electical problem in room

Thats what I have how do I find the bad nuetral connection? Can a bad outlet becausing the problem.

It could be a loose wire if they are connected to the screws, it could be a bad connection if they are in the stab connectors and the wires shoud be moved to the screws, or it could be a loose connecction in a junction box.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    It could be a loose wire if they are connected to the screws, it could be a bad connection if they are in the stab connectors and the wires shoud be moved to the screws, or it could be a loose connecction in a junction box.
    Jack
    Or a poorly made pig tail as well.