+ Reply to Thread

Default Scummy shower doors

My shower doors have this milky scummy substance on them that i cannot remove. I have tried "everything". All over the counter remedies, so called glass expert remedies to no avail. Next i will try muriatic acid, then 2000 grit sandpaper and than a hammer.
    Help, help, help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Scummy shower doors

I had the same problem, I had to replace mine.
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

Sounds like you've got mineral build up. I would recommend removing the door and laying it perfectly flat, deposit side up. flood the door with white vinegar and let it sit, the acid of the vinegar should loosen the deposits.

I too have battled mineral deposits and not found much that works other than prevention. Once you get the deposits removed or replace the doors, get yourself some Rain-X and apply as per the label directions. Rain-X will prevent the deposits from being able to stick. Reapply about once a month or so, depending on shower usage.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Fir mineral buildup, I always use vinegar. When someone recommended it to me, I thought they were joking as it didn't sound string enough to remove such heavy film. BUT, it really did. Buy some large bottles of vinegar from Sam's club or Costco and pour it over the shower doors. Let it sit for 1/2 an hour. You'll need to gently scrub and then rinse with water. Open up a window for some air as it doesn't smell to great. You will be surprised at how well vinegar works. Here are a few more bathroom cleaning tips that could help you out. Good luck!