+ Reply to Thread

Default Installing a hand railing on the basement steps

I am trying to install a handrail that leads from the first floor to the basement. There are approximately 10 to 12 steps which is about 10 foot long. It is a straight shot so no angles to work around. There is enough wall at the top of the stairs to simply attach the handrail to a bracket and attach the bracket to a stud. My question comes at the bottom of the steps. The bottom of the steps is open and there is nothing to attach the railing to for support.

Do I just attach a post to the bottom step and a bracket to the post? If so, what is the best type of post to use? What is the best way to attach the post to the stairwell/bottom step? and is it best to just attach a bracket to this post and attach the handrail onto the bracket?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Default Re: Installing a hand railing on the basement steps

Yes, you can attach a post to the stair stringer with a couple lag screws, but this should also be complemented with a some L brackets at the base of the post, fastening it to the concrete floor. This will require a decent drill and a masonry drill bit.
    Also, don't attach the post at the very bottom step. It will be stronger if it's attached to the stringer at the second step.