+ Reply to Thread

Default HELP with Zebra stripes

My daughter is wanting to paint her bedroom walls in a black and white zebra pattern, and i do not know where or how to begin. Do i get a template made of a design that she wants and take it from there? Any advice will be very helpful. Thanks...........

Default Re: HELP with Zebra stripes

IMHO, not a good idea because it will be next to impossible to cover up, if and when the need arises. What you could do is apply cheap wallpaper first, then paint your pattern over that. When you get tired of the stripes, simply remove the wallpaper and repaint the original wall.

As to a pattern, you could create your own with large sheets of paper.

Spruce is giving you good advice. Stripes painted on walls leave ridges which are very hard to get rid of. I see decorators on the TV shows painting stripes all the time and all I can think of is the disfavor they are doing these people come time to revert to normal decorating.

I agree with applying wall paper but I would suggest just applying the stripes as wall paper.

If she is insistent on paint, you can rent an opaque projector from the local art supply store, place that on a picture or print out of the stripes so she can draw the stripes and paint by letter.

I think there's a special pencil she can use because graphite will bleed through but I can't remember what the pencil is.

Maybe she should do only one wall instead of the whole room.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Better yet, buy flat sheets, or fabric yardage (sometimes you can get it pretty cheap), and either use thumbtacks, or build a frame of 1x2 lumber and staple it on, or use wallpaper paste to apply it directly to the wall. My sister used the second option and it looked great - but not in zebra!
    Or just the projector method - it's how muralists work. Just know you will need a couple coats of really good primer when she ties of it. (I let my daughter do freehand stripes of 6 different colors all over her bedroom - as well as large circles on the concrete floor after we got rid of the carpet. She used it as a permanent 'twister' game! And when we went to sell the house, the family that bought it left it all alone for their daughter.)

Quote Originally Posted by odd_artist View Post
    Better yet, buy flat sheets, or fabric yardage (sometimes you can get it pretty cheap), and either use thumbtacks, or build a frame of 1x2 lumber and staple it on, or use wallpaper paste to apply it directly to the wall.
    If wall paper isn't an option then cutting out the stripes from fabric is the way to go.
    Debby in Oklahoma

You can paint all the wall with the white color and then make the black stripes randomly on the walls. Another best solution is use wallpaper in the room so you can directly find the zebra effects.