+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Under cabinet lighting

I have installed under cabinet lighting with xenon bulbs. The bottom shelf gets very warm to the touch. I experimented and put an air gap (1/8" to 3/16") between the fixture and the underside of the cabinet, it helped some but not much. Can someone recommend a thin insulation that I can put in between the fixture and the cabinet?

Default Re: Under cabinet lighting

Ceiling light fixtures usually contain a think piece of fiberglass insulation with one sided coated with a "tin foil" like surface... I wonder if you could find that at the store if that would help much? I have the same problem. I've started using rope lighting in cabinets and those seem to be more cool. Good luck!

if it has a glass cover over the bulb removing that will reduce the heat by 25 - 50 %

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfWytch View Post
    Which of course would expose the bulb. The slightest splash back onto which, while hot and lit, would cause the bulb to explode/shatter.

Bad advice, doing so would be a big mistake, especially under kitchen or bathroom cabinets.
    http://www.kitchenbathdesign.com/pub...=954&pageNum=2

mine was simply a quote from an article ul does not require a cover for xenon bulbs

Which of course would expose the bulb. The slightest splash back onto which, while hot or lit, would cause the bulb to explode/shatter.

Bad advice, doing so would be a big mistake, especially under kitchen or bathroom cabinets, or near a bar or laundry area.

A safer alternative might be to install spacers (using longer mounting bolts) between the back side of the light fixture and the cabinet - providing a cushion of air between the two.
    most cabinets with lights are not over the sink light over the sink is much higher

was simply giving the poster an option. only they know if it is an option, something that will get wet or not. and there might be a reason that ul doesn't require the cover.

A good rule of thumb that I use is to always put a 1" gap between any heat source and whatever it is being mounted to. I'm not sure if that is sufficient in this application but I would start there.

Missing of course, what immediately followed: that maintaining a cover for SAFETY and cleaning purposes, most professionals recommend maintaining a cover!

Who said anything about a sink? No one but you HG.
    don't know about your house but no one here sprays the bottom of the cabinets with water. but your so much smarter than everyone else on this board you probally know of some benefits of spraying the bottom of the upper cabinets, you probally can research and come up with a link on how beneficial it is.

The irony is you are referring to commercial SHOWROOM lighting reference made in the article and NOT a residential applicaton under-the-cabinet lighting. UL has different standards for that. Quote the applicable standard for the OP's stated application, won't you?
    go read that ul rating it does not specify for commercial or residential

Just curious, what is the wattage of the bulbs you are using?