+ Reply to Thread

Default A finish for Bamboo floors ?

We just had bamboo flooring installed. Perhaps we did not pick a high enough quality product with the best finish, as the floors are already scratched. We have felt protectors on all the furniture but have had to banish our 10 lb dog to the kitchen (he is the cause of most of the scratches!) Our contractor told us to just keep our dog's nails cut and there shouldn't be a problem. (?) I thought I had researched this beforehand, but.....
    Is there any kind of commercial finish we can apply to the floors to make them less suseptable to scratching? We absolutely love the floors, BTW.

Default Re: A finish for Bamboo floors ?

You have asked my exact question. Have you tried finishing your bamboo yet? If the floor is pre-finished with water-based polyurethane, it would seem that applying several coats of that would be good. But will it adhere and will it hold up to scratching? The finish on our brand-new bamboo floor can practically be scratched with a fingernail. Has anyone out there tried applying a finish to a new pre-finished bamboo floor? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssheldo View Post
    We just had bamboo flooring installed. Perhaps we did not pick a high enough quality product with the best finish, as the floors are already scratched. We have felt protectors on all the furniture but have had to banish our 10 lb dog to the kitchen (he is the cause of most of the scratches!) Our contractor told us to just keep our dog's nails cut and there shouldn't be a problem. (?) I thought I had researched this beforehand, but.....
    Is there any kind of commercial finish we can apply to the floors to make them less suseptable to scratching? We absolutely love the floors, BTW.