+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Power Strip installation?

Those ampacity ratings are for copper wire. I have never worked with aluminum wire.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I believe all light fixture are rated at 15 amp or higher but none that I know of have 14 ga. or larger internal wiring. As I remember the smallest ga. internal wiring allowed is 18 ga. (ampacity of 16) for light fixtures but you must use a 14 ga. service or in wall. My guess is the required 15 amp rating goes back to when people replaced bulbs with screw in recepticales to plug in appliances like radios, but just a guess.
    Jack
    The T8s I have been installing have 18 ga, I believe. It was something I always wonder about, how the internal wiring could be such a smaller size. Well, not always, but when ever I work with them.

Those ampacity ratings are for copper wire. I have never worked with aluminum wire.
    Jack
    I don't think I have ever seen it in my travels. And I know I never worked with it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    The T8s I have been installing have 18 ga, I believe. It was something I always wonder about, how the internal wiring could be such a smaller size. Well, not always, but when ever I work with them.
    18 ga. is the smallest ga allowed (NEC 402.6)for fixtures even though a 100 watt lamp draws less than 1 amp. and if I remember correctly, after all I'm getting old , 14 ga. is the smallest ga. wire you can use for in wall. Amd of course, ampacity should not be confused with max amperage a ga. will carry in open air.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 04-16-2008 at 08:15 PM.

18 ga. is the smallest ga allowed (NEC 402.6)for fixtures even though a 100 watt lamp draws less than 1 amp. and if I remember correctly, after all I'm getting old , 14 ga. is the smallest ga. wire you can use for in wall. Amd of course, ampacity should not be confused with max amperage a ga. will carry in open air.
    Jack
    Watt's Law
    Ohm's Law

Geez .... do ya have to have a law degree to be a sparky ?

Jack
    ..... and braided wire to boot ?

OOOPS,
    I did some checking and I misspoke about light fixtures. Wiring for light fixtures falls under NEC 402.5 and the ampacity is different again. The wire size is determined by the actual designed load of the fixture and the ga. of wire uses this chart for sizing

AWG size -----Allowable Ampacity
    18 ------------------------6
    16 ------------------------8
    14 -----------------------17
    12 -----------------------23
    10 -----------------------28

18 ga. is the smallest wire size allowable by code so even if it is designed for a max of 100 watt which would draw less than one amp 18 ga. would still be used. Sorry for any misleading comments.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 04-17-2008 at 11:30 AM.

That is why they place erasers on the ends of those #2s.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    That is why they place erasers on the ends of those #2s.
    Are they NEC approved?
    Jack