+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NEAR SCRANTON, PA (YOU KNOW, WHERE THE OFFICE IS)

Default Cutting Down Trees

We have a tree in our yard that we need to cut down. It is a pine cone type tree with short needles. The trunk is about 24" diameter and then about 15' up it branches out with 3 more shoots that are about 12" diameter and then has many branches from there. I would estimate that the overall height is 40 to 50 feet.

We received some quotes for removal and were from $800. to $1200.

When I get a quote like that, my mind starts saying "We could do that ourselves, and get some cool tools to keep for the same money".

I know I will need a ladder of about 20' to get into the tree at about the 15' level. I have a chainsaw that has about an 18" bar on it. I'll need to repair that, but I would guess it will take about $50. to fix.

I'll need some rope to lower the limbs nicely. Also, I'll need some safety gear to avoid falling to my demise.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this undertaking? I saw the TOH episode where they hires a professional to cut down a tree with nothing around to avoid. They used the rope to control the fall of the limbs. Does anyone know how to tie the rope they way they did? It allowed the limbs to fall a little bit and then be lowered to the ground nicely.

Any suggestions would be nice.

Thanks,

Cody
    Last edited by OLDHOUSENORTHEASTERNPA; 03-10-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: missed info

Default Re: Cutting Down Trees

Unless you have a firm understanding of how to remove large trees, I would strongly caution you against doing this yourself. Trying to use a ladder against the tree you're cutting is quite dangerous, and that is without any chainsaws involved.

To save yourself some money, you could hire the tree to be dropped, then you do the clean-up once it's on the ground.

Not exactly what you wanted to hear, certainly, but I'd rather have you around to participate on this forum, than to have done serious bodily injury to yourself or others by trying to save a dollar.

NEAR SCRANTON, PA (YOU KNOW, WHERE THE OFFICE IS)

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Unless you have a firm understanding of how to remove large trees, I would strongly caution you against doing this yourself. Trying to use a ladder against the tree you're cutting is quite dangerous, and that is without any chainsaws involved.

To save yourself some money, you could hire the tree to be dropped, then you do the clean-up once it's on the ground.

Not exactly what you wanted to hear, certainly, but I'd rather have you around to participate on this forum, than to have done serious bodily injury to yourself or others by trying to save a dollar.
    I appreciate your thoughts on the safety aspect of the job. Truly, safety is always my number one concern. This may very well be too big of a job for me.

Thanks,

OHNEPA

i know TOH has cut down trees in quite a few episodes, but which episode was this? i'm looking for an episode that showed cutting down a tree (really old walnut?) and ended with a new driveway (having a top layer of white/quahog shells and a picket fence with a curved in gate). it was for a cape home where the "garden" was also replanted. i may be in the wrong show, but thanks for your input.

I've dropped a fair number of tall trees, but if it involves limbing and lowering large branches, I leave it to a pro.
    Also how critical is the direction of fall? Can it hit anything if it doesn't go where you want it to? A rope tied off as high as you can get it and a few hands to pull or a truck can relieve a lot of worry, but a knowledge of felling trees goes a long way.
    If it's a small lot with little room for error, let a pro with insurance do it.

Howdy how much is your life worth? bet its over a $1,000.....
    What will the tree destroy if things go all wrong?
    I too hate to spend when i think i can do it my self but that sounds like a big tree. I stopped my self last year when i compaired $1,800 for 3 trees verses my life. They were big trees. Looking back i would of surly got into damages of property or me so the 1800 was well worth it.

First of all you never use a ladder to cut trees. It doesn't take a very large limb to hit the ladder and catapult you across your property. That's why pros use climbing harnesses or cherry pickers. Topping trees can often end in kick back and rip your head off. If it is a large tree even tying a car or truck to a line connected to the top may not make the tree fall where you want and can actually throw a truck like a toy on the end of a string. Even experienced pros have been known to fell a tree the wrong direction and a tree can do a lot of damage when it falls. I have cut a lot of trees down but always hire pros for work near the house.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by OLDHOUSENORTHEASTERNPA View Post
    We have a tree in our yard that we need to cut down. It is a pine cone type tree with short needles. The trunk is about 24" diameter and then about 15' up it branches out with 3 more shoots that are about 12" diameter and then has many branches from there. I would estimate that the overall height is 40 to 50 feet.

We received some quotes for removal and were from $800. to $1200.

When I get a quote like that, my mind starts saying "We could do that ourselves, and get some cool tools to keep for the same money".

I know I will need a ladder of about 20' to get into the tree at about the 15' level. I have a chainsaw that has about an 18" bar on it. I'll need to repair that, but I would guess it will take about $50. to fix.

I'll need some rope to lower the limbs nicely. Also, I'll need some safety gear to avoid falling to my demise.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this undertaking? I saw the TOH episode where they hires a professional to cut down a tree with nothing around to avoid. They used the rope to control the fall of the limbs. Does anyone know how to tie the rope they way they did? It allowed the limbs to fall a little bit and then be lowered to the ground nicely.

Any suggestions would be nice.

Thanks,

Cody
    You sound just like me. Earlier this summer my father-in-law, grandfather-in-law and myself managed to fell 18 pine trees (were all still alive) the key with us was we either climbed a ladder to tie a strong rope to the tree as high as we could, or throw the rope (attached to a trailer hitch nut) over a limb and around the tree and tie it. Then my father-in-law and i pulled it as hard as we could while gramps cut. worked well. (Of course you shouldnt do anything that will potentially hurt you... )

Quote Originally Posted by frdtrkmn View Post
    You sound just like me. Earlier this summer my father-in-law, grandfather-in-law and myself managed to fell 18 pine trees (were all still alive) the key with us was we either climbed a ladder to tie a strong rope to the tree as high as we could, or throw the rope (attached to a trailer hitch nut) over a limb and around the tree and tie it. Then my father-in-law and i pulled it as hard as we could while gramps cut. worked well. (Of course you shouldnt do anything that will potentially hurt you... )
    Congratulations, you survived. But I have known professional lumbermen that have been killed. It's a very unpredictable job.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Wink Re: Cutting Down Trees

I had some trees on my property and took down anything under 15 feet myself with a helper. Anything over that size I hired professionals. Even at that, the large tree they took down was tied off and cut to direct the direction of fall and the tree fell just the opposite of where it was supposed to. Thank God no one was injured (the tree was 50 feet tall and about 30" in diameter). The only damage was a ladder they had leaning nearby, the tree smashed it like a toothpick. Use Professionals so you will be around to tell us how it went.

Calcats