+ Reply to Thread

Default Peeling paint on bare drywall. How to prep this wall for repainting?

I'm removing the wallpaper and repainting my kitchen.

Wallpaper came off OK, but there's a layer of paint that is stuck well in some areas, peeling in others. It's on top of drywall.

Picture: http://i.imgur.com/wwNnsfC.jpg

How do I prep this wall for painting?

I tried scraping... takes forever and leaves gouges.
    I did some sanding (orbital) - it doesn't take all the paint off without eating through some of the drywall too.
    Chemical stripper sounds easy... but I don't think it works on drywall. I'm worried it would sink in and prevent new paint/primer from "taking"
    Heat gun on drywall sounds like a bad combo too... but I don't know.
    Ideally I'd love to just sc**** the loose stuff off and prime... but I don't know if primer will actually smooth things out enough?

My current approach (I don't know what I'm doing) is to sc**** off the loose sections, sand the paint down a little bit, use joint compound all over to smooth out the many, MANY transitions and peeled spots, sand that down a little, then prime and paint.

Is there a better way? Would simply priming the wall smooth it out enough? Should I be doing something completely different?

Default Re: Peeling paint on bare drywall. How to prep this wall for repainting?

Sorry to tell you this is tedious work.

I'd scr ape away the loose stuff, then skin (float) the area with drywall compound. Its easier to add than subtract.

Feel free to curse the guy before you who did horrible prep work.

Default Re: Peeling paint on bare drywall. How to prep this wall for repainting?

Or, if the wall is not that large, remove the old drywall and install new drywall.

Thanks guys. I'm going in a similar direction now... I found a guy in HD who seemed to be respected by his department - he suggested priming it with an oil based primer, then texture using watered-down joint compound and a texture roller, then finish up with another coat of primer before painting.

My thought was "Why even use the first coat of primer before the JC?" but I'm no expert so I'll probably just do as he suggested unless you think it's silly too.

Quote Originally Posted by QFT View Post
    My thought was "Why even use the first coat of primer before the JC?" but I'm no expert so I'll probably just do as he suggested unless you think it's silly too.
    Primer on the flaking surface will "glue" the dust and flakes together, providing a better base to work from.

I really don't think I'd go with an oil base primer, I'd either use a PVA primer, designed for bare drywall, or a stain sealer such as BIN primer, both of which would soak into the flaking, peeling paint and help stabilize and adhere it, rather than just smearing a coating over it. Your top coat will only be as good as your base, and if you don't stabilize the peeling paint, it will continue to peel under the top coat you apply, and will fail in short order.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If you have areas where the brown, pulpy paper layer of drywall has been exposed, you will want to spot prime these areas with an oil based primer. All the patching products contain water. The water often causes the brown paper to wrinkle up. The oil primer seals it down and prevents the wrinkling. Then you can procede with water based primers after your patching. Priming before can also help paste down the loose stuff. It is a judgement call. If you don't prime first, you tend to keep picking up crap in the patching drywall compound and dragging it through your work!

Thanks guys. I'll prime first.

I'd imagine you're probably done by now...but if not, I'd also give serious thought to just replacing the "rock".
    Time-wise, it may be faster, with a lot less product thrown at the wall(s)!!

If re-rocking isn't appealing-
    * Lightly scr-ape off the very loose stuff, & vacuum thoroughly.
    * Use the clear, water-based primer from Zinsser, called GARDZ. This stuff works great for walls like yours!!
    * I'd do TWO coats of it in this case!!! It's a thinner consistency product, so it soaks in well.
    * Simplistically speaking...it's like "clear glue"!
    * After this is done, you've now got a stabilized substrate on which to do desired re-texturing.
    * When texturing is fully dry, you can now use a normal "white" primer.
    * I prefer better primers like Zinsser's 123, or C2-One primer.
    * PVA's are "ok"....I'll leave it at that!

Faron