+ Reply to Thread

Default convert oil furnace to gas

Greetings,I have an old home with a 16 year old oil hot water system. My twin 275 oil tanks need to be removed and replaced. Because of renovations over the years it's going to be difficult to remove them. There is a gas line in the house and I was wondering if it was possible to convert the existing furnace from oil to gas. Thanks

Default Re: convert oil furnace to gas

mazelezon:

The proper name for your heating plant is a boiler.

Yes, it can be done, but it may not be a good idea.

Since the boiler combustion chamber is designed for an oil flame, you may lose flame efficiency if you convert, not to mention the labor and cost of installing the modified equipment.

You should also do a FUEL COST COMPARISON (below) to determine if fuel oil or natural gas is less expensive in your area.

Many people convert only to find that the fuel they convert to is MORE EXPENSIVE than the previous fuel.

The FCC charts measure how much 100,000 btu of fuel oil heat costs as compared to 100,000 btu of natural gas heat.

If the FCC is favorable, you'll have to get some estimates from local service techs as to 1) if it's a good idea; and 2) how much it will cost; and 3) if you will pay more or less for fuel in the coming years.

The Wayne P250 power gas burner looks a lot like the oil burner you have on there now & is designed for such conversions; there are other brands as well.

Just the P250 unit costs ~$500; other parts will be needed, plus the labor charge.

If the problem is just the replacement of standard size oil tanks, these are meant to fit thru a standard door size, sometimes with the help of block & tackle.

The old ones can be cut in half at their midpoint, if that will facilitate their removal (usually not necessary).

The steel is thin & the fumes are non-explosive.

http://warmair.net/html/fuel_cost_comparisons.htm
    http://hearth.com/articles/47_0_1_0_M7_html
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 03-09-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Default Re: convert oil furnace to gas

Iím debating the same thing. I have a buried fuel oil tank that I would like to remove. I like fuel oil as a source of heat but Iím not positive about keeping it because 1. itís expensive 2. it seems like fewer people are using it and its hard to find people to service it and 3. storing it. In my case, I would like to store it inside, but have little room to do so. If I store it outside itís a big eye sore in my yard and (its my understanding) you have to use more expensive #1 fuel oil.

If you do stay with fuel oil I would highly suggest you consider a double wall fuel oil safety tank: http://www.roth-usa.com/usa/Pfueltank-a.html

Good luck!