+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Outlets

Default New Outlets

Can I install a new electrical outlet in a bathroom that has none by tying into the light switch?

Default Re: New Outlets

The electrical outlet ( receptacle) in the bathroom has to be GFCI and and away from the wash basin rim. If you connect the GFCI to the lighting circuit, you may run the danger that it will trip very often. You have to reset the GFCI all the time.
    It is a practical decision.

Actually, the national electrical code does not provide any limitations on how close a receptacle may or may not be to a bathroom sink.

I would think that the determining factor would be that a neutral was available in the existing switch box and not just a hot and switch leg. Easy way to tell is if there are white wires tied through in the box which are not connected to the switch. Those would be the neutral wires.

As long as you fed the receptacle with the hot or line side of the switch, the neutral and ground if available I don't see any issues with tripping issues either.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    As long as you fed the receptacle with the hot or line side of the switch, the neutral and ground if available I don't see any issues with tripping issues either.
    I have done this very thing with excellent results. The purpose was for exterior holiday lighting. It worked well with no complaints of the GFI tripping.