+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Flickering Lights

Over the past few weeks, my house has had all lights in the house flickering like crazy all through out the day. The lights will flicker randomly no matter what breaker it is on. The lights will flicker all night long no matter what appliance is on. What would cause an entire house to flicker like this? My house was built in 1972, so it is older. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff Brown

Default Re: Flickering Lights

According to my understanding, lights flicker throughout the house when there is lower voltage than the load demands. It may flicker, also, if somewhere aong the line there is a poor connection: especially connections in series.This is easier said than done. Are you willing to check every connection? If there is a mistake of connecting conductors to chime or doorbell line, then the lights are going to flicker.

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    Debby,

The power company generally provides to your home two hots and a neutral (grounded conductor) to your home, alternating current, 60Hz in North America. The two hots make up both sides of the sine wave for a phase from the transformer (we'll call them phase half A and Phase half B, for the hots, through the meter head, then your service entrance to your panel. There you bond to your own earth connection for a safety ground. Your 220 circuits use both halves of that supply, your 110 circuits use just one half of that supply.

Perhaps your old problem Deb was an intermittant ground fault.
    That's it Yuk although it was one of the load lines that had worked loose.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A. Heinlein

There are so many things that it could be. Have the power company check the service to your house for loose connections. If it is not the utility company then it is something inside the house. Being the date is 1972 that is right in the middle of the aluminum age. If you start checking inside connections and they are aluminum you could cause more serious problems. Much care has to be taken in re-terminating aluminum conductors. I suggest you call a licensed electrician. He can put an event meter on the service and circuits and monitor when the sags or brown outs occur and diagnose your problem. Then more importantly correct your problem. Do not use a handy man good luck

I decided to call an electrician to the house. The connections outside were pretty old and corroded. He replaced the Risers on the house and all seems to be fine now. Thanks for the replies, atleast the ones that tried to help and not just used this as a BASHING of someone trying to provide me help. Funny, cause what she said was the real issue! HAHA.

Funny how things work out......... I did not post on your thread but I'm happy to hear that it all worked out and is fixed. And, thanks for letting us know.

Cool that was the cheapest fix.

Thumbs up Re: Flickering Lights

Quote Originally Posted by brownie4u2 View Post
    I decided to call an electrician to the house. The connections outside were pretty old and corroded. He replaced the Risers on the house and all seems to be fine now. Thanks for the replies, atleast the ones that tried to help and not just used this as a BASHING of someone trying to provide me help. Funny, cause what she said was the real issue! HAHA.
    Glad all is well.

brownie4u2,
    Good to hear everything is safe and sound.

Shaun , don't forget the flip flop between YukYuk and unregistered.

flip = Yuk Yuk
    flop = unregistered