+ Reply to Thread

Default galvanized to copper or PEX and ABS

i have an older home with galvanized plumbing and want to remodel the bathroom. how do i connect the old galvanized pipe to copper or PEX for the supply and ABS for the drain? any special tools?

Default Re: galvanized to copper or PEX and ABS

Transitioning from galvanized to copper or pex you will need
    male or female x pex or sweat adapter. Or you can get a male adapter x shark bite. If you switch to Pex just make sure you use the stiffener in the Pex tubing. These are very easily found at any hardware store. The ABS you can just use an approved glue to change to PVC. Just make sure the product directions say it can be used on both types of pipe.

For PEX you will need PEX tools and the right NPT adapter(proper size).
    For copper you will need a torch, solder, a pipe cutter, and the right NPT adapters(proper size).
    For the ABS you will need an NPT adapter (proper size) and the tools and mastic for the ABS.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mkss View Post
    i have an older home with galvanized plumbing and want to remodel the bathroom. how do i connect the old galvanized pipe to copper or PEX for the supply and ABS for the drain? any special tools?
    Also .... if you are joining the ABS to cast iron use the Fernco or similar couplers.
    For the galvy drains with threaded fittings there are ABS threaded adapters available.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

To connect galvanized pipe to copper you need to use a dielectric coupler. If you don't then you'll have two different metals in contact with each which will create a small electrical current, otherwise known as galvanic action. That will then lead to a weak spot in your pipe and eventually a leak or burst.