+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default very thin deck material?

My architect messed up. The covered porch off of the second floor bedroom was drawn to have only one inch between the bottom of the sliding glass doors and the rubber roof material covering the floor of deck. The plans call for wood decking. The second floor is now built and my contractor just called this problem to my attention: There is not enough room to install a wood deck beneath the sliding glass door thresholds. Does anyone know of any material, suitable for a second floor covered deck, that can be installed at a depth of one inch?

Default Ipe or Teak is the answer for your application?

You can contact ipedepot.com for 5/4 grooved ipe tropical hardwood that you can install with edge clips and no nails or screws in the top. You can have them mill the first board or 2 7/8 or an inch if you can't squeeze the 5/4. They offer awesome service. I can send you photos of my ipe decks. that I built with all Stainless screws etc. If price is no object Diamond Tropical hardwoods can get you 3/4" Teak. Both of these woods are super strong so you can go the thinner weight. I would do 12" on center joists.

Best,
    Bruce

Default Re: very thin deck material?

On many houses I have worked on recently, the deck has been finished with 5/8" T&G plywood and covered with an outdoor vinyl flooring. I believe this would fit, though it might be close. I don't have any personal experience using this, but I have seen it on $1 Million + value homes and on economy duplexes, so I assume it has some good things going for it.