+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Rewiring chandelier - what kind of wire?

I understand your concern and agree with most all the statements above. One is fixture cords which typically support the fixture in conjuction with supplying power to the fixture with a strain reliefs. These are typically refered to pendant fixtures and supplied by cords. What we were talking about was fixture wire not cords. Fixture wire is typically inside the fixture. It also used for chandeliers which are supported by a chain. The fixture wire is weaved through the chain from the canopy to the fixture below. inside the fixture the wires are feed through the arms to each lamp.They then connect with in the fixture too the wire from the canopy. The fixture wire is not supporting the fixture the chain is. To sum it up we are talking two different uses and two differet applications. Cords and fixture wire and pendants fixtures and light fixtures.

I'm afraid this thread is becoming to reminiscent of the false allegations, twists and turns of a former banned member. Before it deteriorates to name calling and insults, I will depart from further comment on this subject. I wish the OP well and hope he was able to glean the information he needed. I thank Ravens53 for his excellent catch.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Thanks for the help

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice. I went to several places who tried selling me lamp cord which was SPT-1 or SPT-2, but I finally found a place with TFFN wire. Thanks for pointing me to table 402.3 in the NEC, which lists TFFN, so I think I'm OK. Finding it was the tricky part.

I also got a bit of rayon-covered wire for the foot or so that's visible, but I'm unsure if I'll be using it, since the wires to the arms are 16-ga and the rayon wire is 18-ga, and I worry about the durability of the rayon-covered wire. I suppose I could paint the exposed black and white TFFN wires brown to make them less conspicuous.

Thanks again for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by unregisteredto View Post
    Ravens53 don't waste your breath.
    As JLM so eloquently put it "unregistered" is the former member known as DwarfWytch that was recently banned from this forum for their undesirable behaviour.
    On the old TOH forum this same person known as Leslie was also banned then morphed into DwarfWytch so you see how this ends up.

Two for two Leslie.
    She was given the boot? That I did not know, but whole hardily agree with.

Y'all are in deeper here than my knowledge but it's great too see such deep knowledge being shared here. Being more carpenter than electrician I would have simply went to a store who had a similar new fixture on display and looked at how they did it annd followed suit.

There are very good reasons for the Codes, but this is another case that shows how confusing they can be at times. I think it would do everybody a lot of good if they would be clearer and more practical when they write codes so normal humans could understand them. When it gets to the point where you have to consult a lawyer to decipher a document it's time to fix the problem(HINT: It's not the lawyer that's the problem!).

BTW, I'm from SC so I can say "y'all" as much as I want, so Y'all have a nice day!

MC

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    Y'all are in deeper here than my knowledge but it's great too see such deep knowledge being shared here. Being more carpenter than electrician I would have simply went to a store who had a similar new fixture on display and looked at how they did it annd followed suit.

There are very good reasons for the Codes, but this is another case that shows how confusing they can be at times. I think it would do everybody a lot of good if they would be clearer and more practical when they write codes so normal humans could understand them. When it gets to the point where you have to consult a lawyer to decipher a document it's time to fix the problem(HINT: It's not the lawyer that's the problem!).

BTW, I'm from SC so I can say "y'all" as much as I want, so Y'all have a nice day!

MC
    You have to remember that most of the code is established by a committee made up of bureaucrats and manufacturer's reps. not trades people.

By the way close to me it's more acceptable to say y'uns rather that y'all.Y'uns have a nice day.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb