+ Reply to Thread

Default Install Granite for Sale of Home??

I have nice house that I built 9 years ago and we are going to be putting it on the market soon so we can build again.

My dilema; when we built it we put in Formica counter tops in our kitchen to save money, thinking that we would upgrade in later on. But since we are going to be selling it, is it worth the money to upgrade to Granite? We have very nice Maple cabinets and nice appliances. I installed wood floors int he kitchen, dinnette, and hall way a couple of years ago.

Our neighborhood is upper level homes ($300k - $500K) in West Michigan. I can get the Granite installed for around $4500.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Steve

Default Re: Install Granite for Sale of Home??

No. I have never heard a house sale that hinged on counter top material. If the new owners want granite or corian or bamboo or whatever they can have it installed themselves - it's not a big deal to change out counter tops, it's done all the time. Plus, they may not like the cabinets or the layout and if they change them it's money wasted.

I have found that most homeowners are more concerned about neighborhood and location than even the condition of the house... unless you're dealing with 1st time buyers then they want eveything with the house right!

Good luck!

It would be better to ask a real estate agent in your area about the possibility of recouping your investment if you do upgrade to granite.

Most of the shows I've seen about flipping and finally selling have upgraded but I'm sure there were promotional considerations involved in getting the products.
    Debby in Oklahoma

I would agree with saying not to do it.
    If you spent $4500 on a stone that you like but may not appeal to others then was it worth the $$$?

Our neighborhood is upper level homes ($300k - $500K) in West Michigan. I can get the Granite installed for around $4500.
    If the upper level homes command granite counters then it might be something to consider.
    I would have to agree with bsum1 .... just make sure it appeals to everyone.

Like deddysewn mentioned .... check with a realtor .

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but the flips we have done were sold in large part by the kitchens. According to the agent, the wife's first impression of the kitchen is what sold them. Maybe it is a regional thing, too.

I am assuming you are talking about a granite slab for $4500. Could you do a granite tile counter for less money, but still have an upscale counter to match the neighborhood?

I would have to agree with most all the posts, obviously you ask a granite man if you should install granite and he is going to tell you yes. I think debby is right on. if the other houses in the neighborhood that are selling have granite then you might consider it if the agent thinks it will make a difference, but if you do stay with colors that won't appeal only to a few. consider st.cecilia, uba tuba, tropic brown, black galaxy