+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Basement Reno!!!

I recently purchased a house with a poured foundation that has an unfinished basement. I would like to completely finish it but I'm confused on which way I should insulate it. Should I stud it up with an air space (up to 1") between the studs and the foundation and insulation with vapor barrier or should I thermal strap with foam. Which will give the me the best comfort in the end. I've been thinking also of thermal strapping the floor, is this wise or just a waste of money.
    Last edited by cheyiennerascal; 03-04-2008 at 07:16 PM.

Default Re: Basement Reno!!!

For an ultimate DIY system for insulating the basement ..... I recommend using sheets of rigid foam insulation applied directly to the foundation walls. Making sure to seal the seams with a house wrap tape.
    What this will do is provide a continuous thermo break and will eliminate the need for the vapor barrier.

Then you could do a conventional framing of studs for running the electrical and attaching the walls to. If you like add fiber glass batts between the studs for even more insulation.

The floor can also have a layer of rigid foam insulation on the concrete then a layer of plywood secured down with TapCon concrete screws.

Just a thought.

cheyiennerascal ... as I mentioned in your private message the reply will be done in the thread so others can read and provide input as well.

Thanks for your help. If I stick foam to my walls, how thick a foam and if I put rigid foam on the floor how thick and should it be the type that is groved out for strapping. If no, I'm thinking the screws will pop up from the plywood subfloor damaging my finished floors: I'm also assuming I should do the floor first then build my outside and inner wall last.
    You could use 2 inch thick for the walls which will give approx. R 9 or more.

The floor could be only 1 inch thick since the floor isn't subject to being as cold as the walls.

You wouldn't need any grooves for the foam on the floor since the plywood sits flat on the sheets of foam.

There shouldn't be any worry of the TapCon screws working loose and popping through your finished floor. Those screws will bite very well into the concrete floor if properly done.

It would be a good idea to do the floor first then the walls.

Hope this helps.

Once again thanks I know who I can count on for great advise. Your quick to reply and to answer your question from an earier thread, whether Canadians have TV's, yes we do but they're not worth watching. Most of us just sit around watching the radio. It's less painful.

You're welcome .... hopefully it helps you out.

Fellow Canuck?

In general insulating a basement floor isn't really required. I have always used a sleeper system under a new plywood floor on a slab unless it is a floating laminate floor. Tapcons work well, but they stick up above the flooring unless they are countersink somehow. I would also question whether the foam would compress over time without sleepers & not feel solid. The headroom in basements is often limited, so even a few inches can make a difference. A good carpet & pad provides a comfortable floor.

I'm assuming that if I use T&G plywood for subfloor with rigid foam under it and taped off, it will help seal away any moisture where basement air often usually damp. I could use a counter sink head taccon screw to help prevent from sticking up. I know I could just carpet over the concrete but with past experience it tends to feel damp and carpet gets so dirty and is hard to keep clean. I'm not sure if you have heard of thermal strap foam but it's foam that is groved out for 1x3 or 4 strapping, I believe, but I have consider using this to help safe guard against screws popping because they would be trapped under the plywood but I'm sure this would be over kill.

ed21 ... the Tapcon screws are available with countersink heads.
    http://www.confast.com/products/tech...retescrew.aspx

High density rigid foam sheets are used under concrete slabs often .... they have high compressive strength .... strong enough for average home flooring.

cheyiennerascal ..... yep with all taping the seams you have a tight envelope.
    If you wish to secure the foam down separately that's your choice but the Tapcons shouldn't work loose and be a concern.

'
    Nother Fellow Canuck .... you might forgo any subfloor for the tile and use the Ditra isolation membrane. You could even consider installing some electric radiant heat under the tiles in the basement bathroom.

I love the look of a tile floor but it's just too hard on my old joints. If I go with a hard covered floor I would love it to be maple or oak hardwood flooring. I know that it isn't recommended using natural wood in a basement because of moisture content but is it possible to lay this over a foamed and plywood sub floor, or will the wood buckle and belly in the end. I know you can buy laminate hardwood that is meant or this type of application but I just don't like the product. I'm not into pressed wood fibres and veneers.

While I should have known about countersunk tapcons, I still think it would be much easier to use the tapcons to fasten down the sleepers, then nail or screw down the subfloor. Too many holes to drill in the concrete if fastening subfloor directly to slab. I still like the edges of plywood fastened to a solid sleeper rather than floating. Getting extra insulation on a basement floor by having a continuous insulation layer isn't really going to help much if at all.