+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Sewer Gas Vent Pipe Disconnected

While inventorying what needs to be done in my new attic (per Tom Silva's remarks on a TOH episode) before adding insulation, I noticed that the sewer gas vent pipe arising from the bathroom does not proceed through the roof, but ends about a foot above the attic floor. The pipe which runs through the roof drops down and sits almost but not quite square on top, about an inch or inch and a half offset. There is a metal clamp sitting at the top of the lower pipe, clamped to it alone, as though someone tried to make the clamp bridge these two pipes and failed. My plumbing skills stop at replacing washers. Clearly the pipes need to be connected, How do I do this or must I contact a Real Plumber? Thank you for your insights! best, M.

Default Re: Sewer Gas Vent Pipe Disconnected

Use a flexable pipe connector It's a rubber tube with 2 clamps. Measure the diamater of the pipe and get one from Homedepot, Lowes, hardware stor etc. Seperate the pipes and slide it up on the top pipe, align them as best you can and slid it down on the lower pipe. Tighten the clamps and you're good to go.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I agree with JLMCDANIEL completly. You will need a nut driver or a screwdriver (those 5-in-1 are the best for $5.99)to tighten it. The brand name is Fernco and the technical name is elestomeric coupling. But, just call it a flexiable connector. It will probably be 2" but do measure it. If you are mechanically able, you can do this. Good luck. Process of elimation.

Oh, thank you so much! I'm at the library and will print off your replies so I don't screw up. The guy at one builders' supply here in town suggested I fiberglass it -- as my rig is held together with fiberglass and Bondo at least I'm a whiz with those materials, but this is obviously so much better! I'll get the hired muscle to lift the upper pipe, as the entire affair seems to be Quite Substantial. Thank you so much! Nothing like somebody who knows what they're talking about. best, M

Instead of lifting try to pull the two pipes apart enough to get the collar on th upper pipe.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I personally can't budge that puppy. Cast iron, maybe? But who ever supplies the muscle, I'll certainly pass along your suggestion. Thanks again, best, M.