+ Reply to Thread

Arrow -----------------------------------

--------------------
    Last edited by asc2078; 08-18-2008 at 04:07 PM.

Default Re: Advice on setting up a poor man's home theater.

asc2078 ... I agree with the mostly poor sound quality from TV sets. Though about 10 years ago I purchased a Sony television and one of the reasons was for the sound . It was one of the XBR models which came equipped with a separate sub woofer and two remote speakers that were not internal. It was great and it makes me wonder 10 years later why it hasn't improved ?

The computer speakers idea is something I've done as well. This was the case for my mother who is not into home theaters but rather it was more for enhancing the sound and she does appreciate it ( i think ). Fortunately the TV has variable volume output form the audio line out this way the volume is controlled buy the TV's remote rather than having to manually adjust the speaker's volume with the fixed line out.

Personally I would rather put money into tools or wood for the shop. There's not much worth watching on TV any way let alone worrying about the sound. Except of course TOH and Norm.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Personally I would rather put money into tools or wood for the shop.
    Jack
    Yep ... tried buying her the tools and stuff .. but she really didn't appreciate it.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Great idea! I've starting investigating computer speakers and hope to pick something up today. I'm having hernia surgery tomorrow, so I'll be enjoying improved TV sound while recovering thanks to you!