+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Another LOAD BEARING WALL Question

I have an interior wall between kitchen and living room that I am going to remove. It runs parallel to floor joist below and perpendicular to roof joists above. There is no wall below and is approximately 18 feet in length. Initially thought it was load bearing due to direction, etc but have since removed all sheetrock and have noticed the wall sits directly above a cavity between two floor joists below with no support (except 3/4 inch subfloor) the entire lencth. There is an approximate four foot gap between the stairway wall and the beginning of this interior wall that I will be removing. The attic is not truss and has an approximate 10 foot 2 by 10 beam (double) above the gap and ties into roof joists above remainder of interior wall. Roof joists scissor over wall and have tie backs to roof rafters. I had an experienced contractor come in and look after removal of sheetrock and inspect this wall and lack of support below and he advised it is not load bearing due to fact there is literally no support below the wall. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Another LOAD BEARING WALL Question

From what you have discribed I would say it is not a load bearing wall.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Can I ask why you were unsure of trusting the judgment of a contractor?

i agree with ernie, your post to us is only words that you are describing. the contractor has seen it live. if not sure call an engineer in.

Talking Re: Another LOAD BEARING WALL Question

To JLMCDANIEL, Ernie and Kreg . . . thank you for your quick responses. My contractor friend is very qualified and in fact I do trust his judgement. To answer your question, I guess I can only say "peice of mind" for myself. I have fallen into the "internet trap" and I suppose I have read too many stories and "advice" from places, that I may simply be paranoid. Where I live, the contractors that I know are very knowledgeable and competent professionals - I will be having a local structural engineer take a look at it. If things go the way I (hope) think, the engineer will say the same thing as my contractor friend did. I apologize to any and all contractors and subs out there. Call me over-cautious in this particular regard.

Structural engineer came and looked at wall this morning and after inspection advised that wall was not load-bearing . . . simply "under-developed." Destruction can begin in earnest! And yes . . . that is what my contractor friend said! Thanks again for everyone's input.

kdmaheff .... good stuff.

Like you said .... piece of mind ... you shouldn't feel too bad about getting the second opinion.... besides this may help with feeling more confident with your contractor friend when they offer advice the next time.

BTW .... even a good contractor would/should consult with an engineer when in doubt.

Good luck .... have fun and play safe.

Can you show us a picture of the top of the studs and top
    plate?

><((((('> ><((((('> ><((((('>
    according to Hidden Content another property and part of impulsive group

Ok it is good planing. But you should show the picture of house.
    The Best Home Based Business Opportunities. Insight on the Hidden Content business opportunity of a lifetime and how you can become apart of one of the best home based businesses.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

This description is hard to understand without a diagram. Sounds like your double 2X10 is a support beam that runs above the wall to be removed (?), but again -- without a diagram I may be answering a question you did not ask. On the other hand, the most reliable answer would come from a pro who looks at the actual situation -- which you've already had done.